Fall 2021: Weekly OL Training Opportunities
Please direct questions to the Online Faculty Helpdesk, 971-722-8227, or email email@example.com.
Instructional Technology Fall 2021
This Week’s Highlights
For all faculty this term, the highlight for this week:
- Do you know you can create Checklists in D2L Brightspace? Learn about the benefit of using a checklist and how to create a checklist in your own course.
- If you missed our Online Learning training, watch the recordings below:
- New Discussion Experience in D2L Brightspace: Check out the new settings and the new discussion evaluation experience.
- Content Creation and Organization in D2L Brightspace: Learn how to create a web page, insert video, add assignments, and build modules in your course that are easy for students to navigate.
- Professional Development Opportunities:
- Designing your Blended Course (Nov 4-18): Participants in this 2-week workshop will explore the essential elements of a blended (hybrid) course and apply the concept of alignment of objectives, materials, activities, and assessments to one module of a blended course. Registration (deadline Oct 25).
- Engaging Learners in Online Discussions (Nov 1-7): Learn strategies for engaging learners in effective discussions and tools to foster learners’ engagement. Develop a plan for creating engaging and effective online discussions. Registration (deadline Oct 25).
- Our Friday Open Lab for Instructors to get one-on-one help. It’s available every Friday from 1:00-5:00 pm and you can reserve a time slot and join the zoom session during your assigned time. Join us and ask us any questions about your course!
Never miss a session – add IS sessions to your personal Google calendar.
Add our sessions to your calendar »
PCC Online Learning:
- Using Online Rooms in D2L Brightspace – 60 minutes | Register
For instructors who are currently using D2L Brightspace and want to use Zoom for online collaboration, virtual office, discussion, and/or desktop sharing. We will cover how to adjust your settings for optimal student experience, how to share your screen, and how to retrieve and access recordings.
- Tuesday, Oct 19th | 11:00-12:00 pm
- New Assignments Experience in D2L Brightspace – 60 minutes | Register
Explore new Assignments experience in D2L Brightspace in an updated look and feel. The classic tabbed view has been transformed into a new, fully immersive page layout. The new experience streamlines assignment creation and grades.
- Wednesday, Oct 20th | 11:00-12:00 pm
- New Assignments Evaluation Experience in D2L Brightspace – 60 minutes | Register
Evaluate students’ assignments using annotation tools, video, and feedback using the new assignment evaluation experience. The new experience streamlines adding to Grades. Simply enter a score and your assignment is added to Grades, where the name and score are automatically synced for you. Don’t worry if you traditionally create grade items in advance, as support for selecting existing grades and categories is also available.
- Thursday, Oct 21st | 3:30-4:30 pm
- Open Lab for Instructors | Reserve a time | Join the Session
Come and get one-on-one help! Have questions about D2L Brightspace, Zoom, or other instructional tools that Online Learning Supports?
- every Friday | 1:00-5:00 pm
PCC MyCareers Workshops:
- NEW OLC Workshops coming this fall. Topics include creating effective assessments, developing a flipped class and so much more. Check out this list for all offerings available to PCC Faculty.
- NEW Quality Matters Workshops coming this fall. Topics include designing a blended course, creating a presence in your online course, and more. Check out this list for all offerings available to PCC faculty.
Non-PCC Sponsored Conferences & Webinars
- VoiceThread webinar: VoiceThread Advanced Skills – 60 minutes | Register
- Tuesday, Oct 19th | 10:00-11:00 am
- QM webinar: Walking in Someone Else’s Shoes: The True Impact of Digital Accessibility – 60 minutes | Register (use your PCC email)
- Wednesday, Oct 20th | 12:00-1:00 pm
- Zoom webinar: Getting Started with Zoom Meetings – 45 minutes | See available times and Register | View a recording
- Multiple offerings
- Zoom webinar: Zoom Meetings Advanced – 60 minutes | See available times and Register | View a recording
- Tuesday, Oct 19th | 10:00-11:00 am
- Zoom webinar: Zoom Meetings for Education – 60 minutes | See available times and Register | View a recording
- Thursday, Oct 21st | 9:00-10:00 am
Recorded Workshops and Webinars
Watch a recorded live workshop » to get you started with using Instructional Tools:
- Strategies for Showing Faculty Presence: Explore strategies for showing faculty presence with students in your remote class with the goal of promoting student success. Workshop recording.
- Engaging Students during your Zoom Class: Learn strategies and tools for promoting interaction and student engagement when meeting synchronously. Workshop recording.
- Synchronous Discussions in Zoom: Jimena Alvarado breaks down her system for building synchronous student group discussions that run independently. Workshop recording.
- Creating a mobile-friendly design: Learn how to use principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL), focusing on mobile-friendly experience. A way of thinking about teaching and learning that helps give all students an equal opportunity to succeed. This approach offers flexibility in the ways students access material, engage with it, and show what they know. Workshop recording.
- D2L Brightspace Guides: A list of all our PCC D2L Brightspace Guides and Video Tutorials.
- Zoom FAQ: A list of all frequently asked questions about Zoom.
- Creating Accessible Content: One-stop shop for resources on how to create accessible documents for class.
- Organizing your Content for Student Success: Did you organize your content as you would in folders on your computer? Learn how to easily organize your content to promote student success and reduce emails from confused students!
- Instructional Continuity web page: A one-stop shop for your remote teaching needs!
Self-paced anytime training
These training sessions are asynchronous and can be done anytime that is convenient for you. You might not realize that there are some nifty features in Word, PowerPoint, and PDF that save you a ton of time formatting and ensure your documents are accessible too!
Note: If you are not logged into MyPCC, you may be prompted to log in first. These training courses are in MyCareer@PCC.
Can’t make it to a scheduled session or want help sooner?
- Cascade – Michael Moss
- Sylvania – Melany Budiman and Alyson Day
- Rock Creek – TBD
- Southeast – Andre Temkin
Learn more about Online Learning
Check out our website to find out what other Instructional tools PCC supports for your course and other resources: