Employee Onboarding Coordinator
Class: Confidential | Exempt status: Exempt | Grade: II
Under the direction of management, the Employee Onboarding Coordinator designs, develops, implements, and maintains general and customized College-wide orientation and onboarding programs that facilitate development and cultivate belonging for employees. Partners with departments, subject matter experts, and other stakeholders to determine needs, tailor experiences, support consistency and compliance, and ensure seamless delivery of training. Creates and maintains online content and systems and utilizes eLearning authoring tools to manage employee onboarding experience. Coordinates peer resource groups for new employees and connects employees with other appropriate resources, support, and referrals.
- Advances Racial and Social Justice
Actively works toward the elimination of racism and social oppression; utilizes culturally responsive practices and processes to achieve equitable student and employee outcomes
- Drives Vision and Purpose
Participates in the creation of and executes a vision for the College’s mission balancing compliance with flexible, multimodal, inclusive delivery of financial services.
- Drives Engagement
Initiates and drives authentic exploration and engagement cross-departmentally to arrive at collaborative solutions that lead to employee and student success.
- Accelerates Agility and Innovation
Analyzes systems, policies and practices and commits to continuous program improvement through the strategic use of culturally responsive data.
- Builds Partnerships
Partners to solve problems, adapts communication and approaches, supports healthy conflict, and develops strong relationships with associated areas to advance institutional goals.
To support student success by delivering access to quality education while advancing economic development and promoting sustainability in a collaborative culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Our vision for equitable student success
Recognizing the unique value, perspectives, strengths, and challenges of every person who comes to PCC for education, all students will achieve their academic goals through equitable support, quality instruction, clear guidance to persist, and an unwavering commitment to completion shared by the entire College community.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains a College-wide employee onboarding program and facilitates a sense of belonging for all employees.
- Responsible for the oversight and delivery of both in-person and online employee onboarding.
- Works with College departments to create onboarding curriculum/content tailored to department needs and is responsible for College-wide consistency of content and delivery of services.
- Analyzes business processes and department content with subject matter experts. Determines optimal delivery method and collaborates with and supports departments to ensure seamless delivery of department content. Maintains technical expertise and knowledge of best practices in online educational trends, changes and developments, and service strategies. Recommends new approaches, modifications or changes that will improve the experience, efficiency and/or effectiveness.
- Develops and maintains relevant content/curriculum and service delivery methods/materials for employee orientation; serves as lead for sessions; assesses needs and works with partners to create and support onboarding sessions for specific employee groups (Management & Confidential, Faculty, Academic Professionals, Classified). Coordinates and collaborates with stakeholders to create tailored new employee experiences based on needs of specific job groups.
- Provides new manager training, orients new managers on leadership competencies, supervision principles and effective management skills.
- Maintains online content, including coordinating, updating and maintaining user interfaces, and documenting processes and policies. Remains current on eLearning authoring tools and coordinates and uses Learning Management System (LMS) and related systems technologies (e.g. Cornerstone and Banner) to manage employee onboarding experience.
- Collaborates closely with College coordinators, managers, and departments responsible for compliance content such as Human Resources, Finance, Environmental Health & Safety, Information Technology, and the Office of Equity and Inclusion to ensure a consistent employee onboarding experience.
- Coordinates peer resource groups that support new employees and connects new employees with resources and supports.
- Collects data and generates reports related to satisfaction and belonging, and impact of onboarding and peer resource support; evaluates data and works with administrators to assist with continual process improvement.
- Resolves problems, handles difficult situations and provides appropriate referrals to other service areas or escalates issues as needed.
- Ensures programs are accessible and coordinates with the ADA Coordinator as needed.
- May promote and develop career development and training opportunities, and other resources to College employees.
- Provides models for department onboarding and new employee training. May oversee the work of training providers to ensure seamless delivery of external training provider content.
- May lead committee work or be a stakeholder in work groups and initiatives related employee onboarding and employee belonging, success and retention.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work environment includes frequent disruptions and changes in priorities. Work is generally performed in an office environment with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Working hours may vary and some evening or weekend work is required. Frequent travel to other locations is required and possession of a current Driver License. No special coordination beyond that used for normal mobility and handling of everyday objects and materials is needed to perform the job satisfactorily.
Bachelor’s degree in Organizational Development, Human Resources, Education, Educational Leadership, Business or related field. Four (4) years of experience designing and delivering a variety of employer-based training programs.
OR Bachelor’s degree in any field and six (6) years of experience designing and delivering a variety of employer-based training programs.
OR eight (8) years of experience designing and delivering a variety of employer-based training programs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Human resources practices and principles;
- Current approaches to address contemporary issues of inclusion, access, and equity;
- Training and development principles, practices, methods, and procedures;
- Adult learning theory and its application;
- Design principles and best practices for effective online learning media use and learner engagement;
- Best practices for assessing training needs and developing and delivering training content;
- Applicable federal, sate, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes;
- Conflict resolution techniques;
- Methods to conduct research and analysis;
- Human resource information systems.
- Demonstrating strong communication skills that foster open and inclusive communication among diverse stakeholder groups and at varying levels of the organization;
- Organization, synthesis and analysis of varied and complex information and problems;
- Learning technology design and development including eLearning authoring tools and standards such as Adobe Suite, Camtasia, and other emerging technology;
- Microsoft Office applications such as PowerPoint, Word, and Excel;
- Utilizing data and assessment outcomes for communication and to make continuous improvements for programs and services.
- Effectively communicate to a diverse variety of audiences;
- Manage and mediate conflict and sensitive topics;
- Resolve issues in alignment with College mission and goals;
- Consult with departments to analyze training needs;
- Interpret and apply policies, procedures, employment laws and collective bargaining agreements;
- Counsel, direct, and facilitate professional development of employees while motivating them toward goal achievement;
- Maintain confidentiality.
Portland Community College is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected class.