Information about applying for or renewing a passport can be found on the Department of State travel website.

Blue US passport sticking out of a suitcase pocketObtaining a Passport

You must have a passport to participate in a study abroad program through PCC. This can mean 1) applying for a passport for the first time, 2) renewing your passport, 3) you have a passport which will be valid 6 months beyond your in-country departure date, or 4) you have an international passport. Apply for or renew your passport.

Routine processing times for passports are 6 weeks, and expedited times are 2-3 weeks. If you need your passport immediately, the process is different.

  1. If you are applying for your passport for the first time, you will need to apply in person. This may require making an appointment at a Passport Acceptance Facility. Use the Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page to find a nearby location. Passport Acceptance Facilities include some county and city offices and some post offices. The following city offices process passports on a first come, first served basis, without an appointment:

    City of Beaverton – Finance Office
    12725 SW Millikan Way
    8:30am-1:30pm and 2-4pm
    (photos NOT offered on site)

    Multnomah County – DART Office
    501 SE Hawthorne
    (photos offered on site)

    Washington County Office of Assessment and Taxation
    155 N. First, Hillsboro
    9am-12pm and 1-4pm
    (photos NOT offered on site)

    Lake Oswego Office – Finance Office
    380 A Avenue, Lake Oswego
    9am-3:30pm Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
    (photos offered on site)

  2. If you are renewing your passport, you can either make an appointment or submit an application by mail.
  3. If you already have a passport, great! Just make sure that your passport will be valid 6 months beyond your in-country departure date. While this isn’t a strict rule, sometimes countries (the U.S. included) will turn people away at their borders if your passport will expire within 6 months of your departure date from their country.
  4. If you have an international passport, please get in contact with the Education Abroad Office at [opens in new window] or by phone at (971) 722-7117. Make sure you also get in contact with the Office of International Student Services.

For more information on applying for or renewing your passport visit the U.S. Department of State Travel website.

Items Needed to Obtain a Passport

  1. Completed passport application form (DS-11) if applying for the first time. If renewing, use form DS-82.
  2. Two identical passport photos (2 inches by 2 inches) taken within the last six (6) months. Passport photographs must be on special paper and require a special background. (You can obtain passport photos at your local Walgreens and some other places that process photos. Call ahead to make sure their camera is functioning!)
  3. Proof of citizenship: This requirement can be satisfied by an original United States birth certificate with a raised seal, a certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the Vital Statistics Department in the state in which you were born (in Oregon, this is the Oregon Health Authority; for other states, the process is different), a previously issued passport, or a certificate of naturalization. These original documents will be submitted with your application and returned to you when your passport is issued.
  4. Copy of your proof of citizenship (front and back if there is any writing on the back).
  5. Current picture identification, such as a state driver’s license or ID card.
  6. Color copy of your picture identification (front and back).
  7. If you are in a rush, you may need to expedite your passport application process. To expedite the process and receive your passport within 2-3 weeks, add $60 to your check or money order and make sure that the word “EXPEDITE” is written on the outside of the envelope (talk to the agent processing your application).