Rock Creek Bldg. 7, Rm. 202 | 971-722-7010 | FAX: 971-722-7050 | Program Advisor: Jessie Levine
Sprouting Diverse Skills
Information/Advising Sessions for New Students
All held at Rock Creek Campus:
- Thurs, Oct 30, 3-3:50pm Bldg. 7/110
- Fri, Nov 14, 10-10:50am Bldg. 7/104
- Tues, Nov 18, 4-4:50pm Bldg. 7/110
- Mon, Nov 24, 3-3:50pm Bldg. 7/108
- Wed, Dec 3, 9-9:50am Bldg. 7/103
- Thurs, Dec 11, 3-3:50pm Bldg. 7/110
I will cover general LAT program information and degree requirements. No pre-registration required; just show up! You will need to purchase a parking permit if parking on campus.
Want to take Computer Aided Landscape Design (LAT 271) this winter?
LAT 271 currently has an incorrect prerequisite of LAT 217, Landscape Drafting. However, ALL students are welcome to take LAT 271 this winter. If you have not taken LAT 217, Landscape Drafting, please contact Jessie Levine for an override.
In a temperate rainforest like Portland’s, it’s hard to ignore the natural beauty and not marvel at nature’s continuing regeneration. Many take advantage of the long growing season and the moisture that can yield abundant crops, ornate gardens, and artful landscapes. While it may seem like all you need to become a landscaper is a green thumb, the art and science of professional landscaping requires some very important skills. PCC’s Landscaping Technology program offers courses in biology, horticulture, mathematics, and landscape knowledge, providing you with basic skills and a solid foundation.
Our program has one of the best classrooms available: the Pacific Northwest. Not only is our program situated on the beautiful Rock Creek Campus, nestled in the Willamette Valley between the Coast Range and the Cascades, we also have a large greenhouse and growing facility. Our proximity and vast resources allow you to develop a broad background of skills in landscaping and horticulture and also earn specialized certificates.
Degrees and Certificates
In this program you can earn the following:
- Associate of Applied Science Degree
- Landscape Technology
- Landscape Construction
- Landscape Design
- Landscape Management
- Environmental Landscape Management Technology
- Less Than One Year Certificate
- Landscape Services Technician
See the catalog for information regarding program requirements. Students may take the LAT Math Challenge Test in an effort to test out of LAT 236, Landscape Math. Please contact the LAT Department Chair, David Sandrock, to learn more.
Strong Roots, Solid Stem
Our courses offer you the opportunity to gain hands-on experience while acquiring important academic knowledge of horticulture. For example, in our irrigation class, you install an irrigation system, or in the construction area, you will build fences, retaining walls and paver patios. At the same time, you may be attending classes in plant propagation, landscape illustration, or tree care. This combination of coursework allows you to establish the knowledge and technical skills from which you can build a stable career.
Typically, a class meets for five hours once a week, with at least half that time spent in practical application. We offer you the opportunity to prepare for entry-level and supervisory work in landscape construction, landscape design and landscape management. More than a dozen members of the landscape technology advisory committee help keep the program up-to-date and relevant. They include landscape contractors, suppliers, greenhouse growers and other professionals in the field.
- Apply for admission to PCC.
- Take college placement tests.
- All landscape technology students are required to place into RD 115, WR 115, & MTH 60.
- If you have completed writing and/or math classes at another college, please request an official transcript evaluation from Student Records.
- Complete the new student orientation.
- Attend an Information/Advising Session for New Students. Session dates and location are at the top of this page.