The Advising Redesign Initiative
In the news
Redesigning the academic advising model is one of the most significant reform efforts that the college has engaged in to improve equitable student success. It is a critical element of the Pathways model. The PCC Advising Redesign Initiative began in 2016 and has remained a priority strategy of our YESS work. Resources have been dedicated to hiring additional advisors, hiring a program manager, purchasing student success technology, and developing a community of over 100 advising practitioners with a focus on inclusive, developmental, and holistic practice.
Academic advising at PCC is defined as “the process of guiding students along an intentional path to explore, affirm, and achieve their education and career goals.” Guided by the work of the Advising Redesign Initiative Task Force, initial priority goals for reform were established and the implementation of process, structure, and attitudinal change has been steady. As a result of this initiative:
- All degree-seeking students have an assigned Pathway Advisor to provide academic planning help, track progress, and provide supportive interventions.
- A student success tool – EAB Navigate – has been integrated into advising practice allowing advisors, students, and faculty to easily connect, track progress, and make or receive referrals for support.
- New Student Advising and Registration sessions have been developed to support the critical momentum point of multiple measures of course placement and first term enrollment.
- Enrollment advisors have been hired and the recruitment and onboarding process for new students has been improved.
Next priorities for strategic enrollment and advising redesign include:
- Further support for the advisor community of practice to deepen knowledge and skills in culturally responsive, anti-racist, and inclusive practice.
- Implementation of a new Academic Planning tool in EAB Navigate, aligned with Academic and Career Pathways and Program Maps.
- Integration of a college readiness survey to seamlessly connect students with financial support and other critical resources.
- Development of Academic and Career Pathway exploration and decision making support for all students.