This content was published: April 1, 2020. Phone numbers, email addresses, and other information may have changed.

Baby edition!

Avery Thompson

Greetings from the Rock Creek campus farm, and happy spring! I’d like to share some farm updates with everyone, including a few pictures from lambing. I think we can all agree that baby animals are good for the soul.

black and white baby lambWhite baby lamb looking up at the cameraLambing season started on February 7th this year, and all but ONE ewe of the nineteen total have lambed. So far we have thirty seven lambs- nineteen boys and eighteen girls. The ewe that had the most lambs is aptly named Plenty, and she had quintuplets!

For me, lambing has been a very satisfying season. As a small ruminant (sheep and goat) enthusiast, I really feel like I’m in my element during lambing, getting to do what I love every day. It’s also been very rewarding to see the Vet Tech students out at the farm more, connecting with the animals and learning new skills. Another thing I’ve really enjoyed about lambing is meeting all the PCC staff that came out to see the lambs. It’s been really cool getting to know all of you a little better, and being able to share my passion for farming with you.

Cow with her twin babiesIn other non sheep-related news, calving season started last Tuesday March 24th. So far, we have six calves total. The first cow gave birth to healthy twins!

The next big task on the farm to-do list is sheep shearing. A professional shearer is scheduled to come out in two weeks. Fingers crossed that she is still able to make it. If not, you might find me looking up how to shear sheep on YouTube 🙂

Thanks for reading!

-Avery

mama sheep with lots of babies sleeping next to her

Search: Rock Creek Farm