This content was published: December 18, 2020. Phone numbers, email addresses, and other information may have changed.
December 2020 Highlights
Posted by Donna Swanson
D2L Brightspace 20.20.12 updates for December 2020
This will be installed on Tuesday, December 22nd, 2020, This is two days earlier than normal due to the Holidays
This month’s updates for D2l Brightspace Include:
- Brightspace Learning Environment – Updated video and audio player in Content and Lessons | New
- Quizzes – Improved workflow for creating multi-select questions | New
- Quizzes – Improvements to the ability to retake incorrect questions in quizzes | New
Brightspace Learning Environment – Updated video and audio player in Content and Lessons | New
To improve accessibility and create a consistent user experience, a new audio and video media player has been added to Content, Lessons, and the New Learner Experience.
Note: this player is used when you link to a media file that is located in your course files. We recommend using a streaming service like Kaltura instead because they are designed to work better for students with lower bandwidth, using mobile devices, and more.
The new media player offers the following features:
- Consistent keyboard controls, and screen reader support.
- Keyboard controls improvements and fixes to known issues. The previous media player had an issue where keyboard focus could become stuck in the caption language selection menu.
- Screen reader improvements with the new media player include off-screen messages for screen readers to announce when a video has loaded or if there was an error loading the video.
- The Settings menu in the media player provides a Download option and playback speed options.
Quizzes – Improved workflow for creating multi-select questions | New
As part of the ongoing initiative to improve the quiz creation experience for instructors, this release streamlines the interface for creating multi-select questions, making the workflow simpler and more intuitive.
When instructors initially launch the Question Editor to create a multi-select question, the interface displays the two main components of a multi-select question: the question and potential answers. Selecting a field displays a pop-up toolbar for formatting the text and adding images, links, and graphical equations. As each field is completed, the preview pane displays how the question and answers appear to learners.
Next, instructors can choose to click Options to add the following optional information to the multi-select question: Add Feedback, Add Hint, Add Short Description, and Add Enumeration.
Instructors can then choose to randomize the order of answers, assign points, and determine how points are assigned to blanks.
For determining how points are assigned to blanks, a new grading type is available in the classic and new multi-select question experience: Correct Answers, Limited Selections. For this grading type, points are evenly distributed across correct answers only. The number of selections allowed is limited to the number of correct answers. Learners earn partial points for each correct answer selected.
Quizzes – Improvements to the ability to retake incorrect questions in quizzes | New
Building on the Retake incorrect questions in subsequent attempt feature released in the November 2020 / 20.20.11 release, there are several improvements to increase the value of the feature:
- Administrators and Instructors can now identify retaken attempts in the Attempt log.
- Instructors can now identify a Retaken Attempt while grading a quiz in the Quizzes tool on the User tab and the Attempts tab.
Error: The image above does not have Alt Text