Students get their due as completion ceremonies continue in face of pandemic
Photos and Story by James Hill
Despite the COVID-19 (coronavirus) forcing Portland Community College to move services and classes to online and remote platforms, many students have overcome these obstacles and are graduating. As a result, PCC is still hosting celebratory events for students across the college’s district. The following are opportunities for the PCC community to virtually attend these great ceremonies and celebrate the students’ accomplishments. Contact the respective organizer listed after each event to gain access to the Zoom meetings.
Completion Ceremony Schedule
- Cascade Leadership Completion Showcase –– 3:30-5 p.m., Monday, June 1.
- Southeast Multicultural, Queer & Women’s Resource Center Year-End Ceremony — 3-4 p.m., Tuesday, June 2 (Contact Briana Stansbury at email@example.com to attend).
- Southeast Career Services End of Year Celebration via Zoom — 4-5:30 p.m., Tuesday, June 2 (Contact Jen Poinar at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- IBEC (MC/QRC/WRC) Year-End Celebration — 3-5 p.m., Wednesday, June 3 (Contact Traci Boyle at email@example.com).
- End of the Year Banquet (Southeast Campus Student Life and Leadership) — 6-8 p.m., Wednesday, June 3. (Contact DeLinda Martin-Huggins at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Rainbow Graduation (Queer Resource Centers) — 4-5 p.m., Thursday, June 4.
- Illumination Project Graduation Celebration — 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Friday, June 5 (Contact Jeannie LaFrance at email@example.com).
- ASPCC Completion Ceremony — 3-5 p.m., Monday, June 8 (Contact Andrea Salyer at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Gerontology Graduation Celebration — 3-4 p.m., Tuesday, June 9. (To attend, contact Jan Abushakrah at email@example.com).
- District Student Council Recognition & End of Year Celebration — 4-5 p.m., Thursday, June 11. (To attend, contact Chelsea Kimmett at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Veterinary Technology Commencement & Pinning Ceremony — 11 a.m., Saturday, June 13. (Contact Laura Harris at email@example.com).
- CAMP Celebration via Zoom — 2 p.m., Tuesday, June 16. (Contact Greg Contreras at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- TRIO Virtual Celebration — 5:30 p.m., Thursday, June 18. (Contact email@example.com to attend).