Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

This content was published: December 13, 2021. Phone numbers, email addresses, and other information may have changed.

Students Speak: Community building & resources continue to drive success for Men of Color Leadership Program

Miriam Sluis

Started in 2008 as a pilot, the Men of Color Leadership Program (MoCLP) has been going strong for 13 years. The program combines college credit courses with campus and community resources. It creates community among participants and is designed to support skill building around academic success and career planning, while demystifying college expectations and demands. Simultaneously, the program explores the impact of identity, race, and gender on the college experience.

The MoCLP has endeavored to maintain this commitment to students as the pandemic continues to ebb and flow. In the Spring of 2021 we caught up with 9 students enrolled in the MoCLP and asked them to share their insights and experiences of the program’s impact on their lives during the era of COVID-19.

What does the Men of Color Leadership Program (MoCLP) mean to you, both personally and in a broader sense?

… the Program really served as a place of community in Portland.

Statik: “For me the Program really served as a place of community in Portland. Where I live now, I don’t see a lot of people that look like me. Going to PCC, I don’t see a lot of people that look like me. So getting to meet Dr. Meeks within the first couple weeks of being on campus and being recruited into the Men of Color Leadership Program really was a catalyst. It heavily influenced who I am today. And I know that the community aspect of it, having a place where I can be myself, where I can be safe, that was really important starting off.”

Dr. Meeks was incredibly accommodating, incredibly inviting.

Jacob: “I immediately jumped on the opportunity when I saw the Program description. I was just looking for a class to fill my pre-reqs, but to see a Program where I could feel a bit more welcome and a bit more accommodated, I immediately leaped on the opportunity. And Dr. Meeks was incredibly accommodating, incredibly inviting. It gave me something I never thought I could get in a college experience; being able to be around people that you identify with and who understand your circumstances and your situation.”

Ben: “The Men of Color Leadership Program’s classes are about growing and learning for me. These are very self-aware classes, where we hit a lot of very difficult issues that we typically would not hit as men, specifically as BIPOC men. It gives us the opportunity to be more exposed to the reality of what’s going on in the world, how we can potentially find solutions to these problems and how we can pass that knowledge onto other people. It’s a holistic experience that we go through together, trying to navigate this crazy world, a support group for BIPOC men trying to understand how we can contribute to society on a very deep level.”

It showed me I could get good grades if I just applied myself to it.

Umembori: “What I got from our group is the accountability aspect of it. It’s really important for us to keep our grades up. And until I joined the Men of Color Leadership Program, there was no one who asked me to do that. So my grades were always slipping. After joining the program, that’s the first time I almost got a 4.0. It showed me that I could get good grades if I just applied myself to it.”

Dustin: “My hope was being able to identify and connect with men of color who are working on a similar goal of going to college and building careers from that. Seeing positive role models in people of color that I can identify was huge for me. Having Dr. Meeks as an instructor was also good and helpful, knowing that people of color can go through graduate school and be successful in life.”

… a place where I can feel like I’m safe, and where I can relate to and be with other people of color.

Dennis: “For me the Program is a place where I can feel like I’m safe, and where I can relate to and be with other people of color.  And it just feels great having talanoa (to talk or to speak in Pasifika languages – ms) about what we feel passionate about, or to let go of what is troubling us.”

Omar: “The Program is a major opportunity to network and to connect with more progressive and active peers, in the student setting, especially in a place like Portland. It’s a place where I can build relationships with these folks and not feel like I have to be on guard all the time. It’s also good as a self exploration and self fulfillment experiment. It challenges you to look inward and understand where you’re coming from, instead of just going in a certain direction, and not realizing what the source is. I appreciate this Program a lot.”

Camilo: “The Program is definitely composed of an ethnic minority group and topics relating to commonalities, in which certain social concepts come into play. Just things we as ethnic minorities face on a day-to-day basis, with a spotlight on social issues concerning institutional racism and things of that nature. And there is a lot of practical advice relating to social development. Whether it’s career advice, interpersonal advice or social skills advice. A lot of empowering goes on too, empowering of individuals in the classes.”

Andrew The Men of Color class came at a good time to me. The pandemic hit and I felt like being exiled. I was kinda alone, not many people to talk to. That’s when it came into my life. To me it’s been a learning experience, it gives a lot of information as far as self-growth and learning about things that might not be commonly taught in standard classes.”

How was it to be in this program during times of Covid? How was it to be in the program being remote?

Statik: “I actually was in the program before and I don’t think being remote affected me in any negative way, personally. I did miss the in person aspect of things. But at the same time, I don’t know anybody in the program that I’ve connected with or want to connect with who goes to Cascade, which is my campus. Dr. Meeks doesn’t even teach at Cascade campus, but he’s been my mentor for the last two years. It’s just one of those things where having this online environment has allowed me at least to create connections with people I otherwise wouldn’t have had an easy opportunity meeting.”

Dustin: “You know, I didn’t even consider it, but my campus is SouthEast and so I don’t even know if I would be able to attend this class or be in this Program if it wasn’t for it being remote right now. I believe some of us are attending different campuses, so yeah, it’s probably a good thing, maybe a better thing for the program.”

Omar: “Yeah, it does affect me a little bit more. I’m more of a connector, after the class and around the class. Without the campus setting, I’m not able to walk around and just chat with people. And I’m not good at keeping up on my cell phone with texts so… As far as the class goes, it’s probably as strong as it would be in person, but the connection with the peers is not as heavy as it could be, because of the remote environment.”

Ben: “With Covid, not having that personal connection, it is a little bit difficult, because I’m sure we would be a lot closer if it wasn’t for having to meet on Zoom. I think we would get a little bit more out of it if it was in person. But it’s very self-reflective and we did as much as we could. We did really great.”

Andrew: “I have to agree. Not having physical meetings was a challenge. But on the other hand, it’s been really great having virtual meetings. Being in a pandemic and not being able to be out in general for the longest time has been difficult for many of us as it is.”

Camilo: “The whole lack of in person interaction was definitely challenging. It’s overcoming this medium we’re using to engage on as fruitful a level as possible, meeting everybody and sharing experiences. It’s surprising how well we’ve come to know each other just through Zoom meetings twice a week.”

How do you think being in a pandemic would have been for you if you hadn’t been in the Men of Color Leadership Program?

Umembori: “I probably would have just not gone to school during Covid, because I wasn’t feeling it. My grades were slipping, and I was like I don’t think I’m gonna go to school during Covid because my classes just aren’t working for me. And then I got an email from Dr. Meeks about joining the Men of Color Leadership. And when I was reading about it, the big draw for me was getting the seven credits that it offers, and I was like ‘that would really help’. So I went through the process and now, two terms later, I’m on course to transfer to University.”

Dennis: “Same. Just like Umembori I was also contacted by Dr. Meeks by email about the opportunity for the seven credits. I was a little hesitant, because it was like too good to be true. And I told my sisters about it because, to be honest I was having a hard time imagining such goals and achievements in my life. But my sisters pushed me to go. And because of the Program, I felt a lot more motivated going to school on-line, even though I saw my own struggles doing so. It’s like I’m being supported and cheered on for my goals and what I want to do in my life.”

Omar: “Alright. Without the MoCLP program, I do think I would be a little less passionate about school right now. Because of specifically what the program is and how it builds connections, it has helped me keep motivated during the shutdown.”

Camilo: “It’s definitely been good for the mental health aspect of my personal life. Twice a week I’d be virtually surrounded by people that give me the grounding part of life where I’m like: ‘Okay cool, I’m not the only one here going through x, y, and z, whatever struggle it may be.’ And you take that in conjunction with the lessons taught throughout the course, that are very practical to day-to-day life in the context of BIPOC men. It’s a recipe for a great experience.”

Jacob: “Spring 2021 was my first term back at PCC since Covid started. I actually put off going back to school because I didn’t want to take online remote classes. But a couple things encouraged me and one of them definitely was being able to take this class. And even though it is remote and it’s not in person, even just through the computer the Community that’s been able to be built through this program is pretty remarkable.”

Ben: “If I didn’t have this class I don’t think I would be able to be vocal and share my experiences of what my own personal life has been like. I think in other classes we tend to focus on a subject, and that’s all we get to do. In this class we get to talk about people and learn about the perspective of other peers in the classroom. I’m glad I took this class during Covid times, because it makes school work a little more intimate.”

Andrew:  “That hit the nail on the head, Ben. To me this class came at just the right time. I mean I started in Winter term and Covid was going around with the stay at home order. It was easy to feel like you’re alone. And connecting with all the other men in this group was a good feeling, to just know you’re not alone out there. It was a great thing to have amidst a pandemic.”

Statik: “Yeah, I know for myself that without MoCLP I definitely wouldn’t be here, I probably won’t even still be at PCC. I’ve been in MoCLP for as long as I’ve been at PCC and it’s played a huge part in my academic journey for the last two years. So, yeah, I really don’t know where I’d be.”

What did you like best about the Program? What were some of the highlights for you?

Dustin: “The articles that Dr. Meeks provided for us to read were just really, really good. I mean I can name a couple of times when I’ve shared with people what we were doing in this class and what I read and how interesting and eye opening it was. One article, in particular, called ‘Masculinity as Homophobia’, it was just really interesting to read and see another perspective on how a lot of the things that we do as men, are just to try to get the attention of other men. Reading that was really interesting.”

Omar: “Similar to what Dustin said, the psychological dissections from the articles and discussions that we had in class really stood out for me. And I favored the identity charts also. They gave us the opportunity to look into ourselves and figure out our own identities and how that plays a part in how we exist right now. That’s it for me right there”

Unembori: “One highlight of the class is that it’s really reassuring to know that the professors who lead the class believe in us. And they see our potential. They don’t let us sell ourselves short. And when we do something or achieve something, it’s good to have some affirmation. Our achievements are acknowledged, and I really like that.”

Statik: “For me, one of the highlights that I can’t appreciate enough is the networking and to come into a community where I know that I have almost instantaneous connection to other people. Because just in this cohort alone I’ve gotten to connect with several people outside of our classes to form bonds and relationships in one capacity or another, and there are other people that I’m still planning on hitting up.”

Ben: “One of the biggest highlights is just learning from other people’s experiences, you know? I think we each feel like we’ve gone through a lot and then we hear someone else’s experience that’s different from what we’ve gone through, and it gives you more perspective. And another thing that I really enjoy is seeing the updates. Camilo having a child. And Andrew sending pictures of his little kiddo. That’s adorable to receive and great to see.”

Andrew:  “I’ve learned a lot of things in this class. We had a guest speaker who helped us with resume work and LinkedIn stuff. I think that alone was enough of an impact to take this class.. The self development, along with many of the things that we cover. There’s just too many things to really nail down, but self development is one thing I could say impacted me in a good way.”

Camilo: “The class has provided me with a greater sense of awareness of certain types of social constructs. Institutional racism has definitely been a big topic. You know, just when you think you’re aware of things… you’re exposed to material in this class that really broadens your perspective. I carry that in my day-to-day; when I’m talking to somebody, when I’m socializing, I’m hyper-aware of whether I’m using the correct pronouns. Of whether I am giving the person the  proper amount of respect. That’s how I’ve seen this class really influence me in quite an impactful way. Having a greater sense of awareness of somebody else’s sense of being.”

What would you say to men of color who are considering participating in the program?

It’s a safe space where you can be vocal about your experiences with no shame or judgement.

Ben: “Just do it. There’s no harm comes out of getting to grow more, getting to know more, getting to build connections with other young men who have gone or are going through the same things that you are. It’s a safe space where you can be vocal about your experiences with no shame or judgement. It’s a great group of men, so I would just say just do it. There’s no reason not to.”

Andrew: “Definitely do it. I’ve befriended most of the guys in the class,we all have each other’s numbers and I send texts every now and then just to say hi. So not only are the friendships invaluable, but also the things that you learn. The masculinity and femininity stuff that we learned, and the things that we’ve learned to build ourselves up. Like LinkedIn portfolios and the guest speakers. There’s been multiple guest speakers that just had a lot of good stuff to say. So yeah, definitely do it.”

Dennis: “Take advantage of the opportunity that you’re given, especially the seven credits opportunity. And, just like how I first I was a little skeptical about this Program; it’s really best to take an opportunity, to take a risk or chance on something that you’re more than likely only going to see once in a blue moon.”

Dustin: “Give it a try. Even if it’s for one term or you want to drop out after a couple weeks. But I’d definitely say it’s worth trying if this class connects with your identity of who you are.”

Umembori: “ I would say to join. If you’re thinking about it, you’re probably looking for community and somewhere to help with your grades and transfer credits. For me, like in high school and middle school, I never joined any type of group like this, they just didn’t seem for me. But now that I’ve had this experience, I see these people have my best interests at heart.”

Omar: “I wouldn’t be able to see why anybody would be skeptical about taking a class in the MoCLP. In general, what it provides continues to help you in your school career. And personally, it forces you to introspect. It forces you to keep tabs on where you are in class with your other teachers and it gives you ideas on how to structure yourself in your school career in general.”

Statik: “Opportunities to lead are abundant in source but very scarcely taken. And that’s because people don’t know they can be leaders in situations where they normally wouldn’t consider themselves to be leaders. I say that because during my first year in the Program, one of the first questions that Dr. Meeks and Dr. Johnson asked on the first day of class, was to raise your hand if you considered yourself a leader. And I was really the only one in the class that didn’t raise my hand. Simply because I just was like, I don’t want to be responsible for the actions or life of anyone but myself. If I pave the way for somebody to use that’s cool, but I wouldn’t actively consider myself a leader, because I wasn’t you know, doing the whole Martin or Malcolm thing standing in front of people using my voice like that. And I knew I had that mentality prior to joining, but I still joined anyway because something had just told me like, it was almost like what a couple of the guys said earlier, just try it, why not? And that was like, what I said at the beginning, it was one of the lessons that I’ve learned; that there are more opportunities to lead that show up, than people really think about.”

It’s the real deal.
…You’ll have a good time. You’re in good company.

Camilo: “This course could be vital to your self development. It’s definitely a class for self-growth. It’s the real deal. It’s definitely the real deal. I highly recommend it, I don’t see a single con to this class. This is all valuable information being put forth, not to mention the experience itself communicating with other human beings and really making these connections during this timeframe within the pandemic. You’ll have a good time. You’re in good company.”