As part of the Accessible Technology Policy, faculty are required to ensure that there course documents are accessible, including the Syllabus. This page provide templates for instructors to ensure that their Syllabus is accessible for all their students.
- [Google Doc] Grayscale Course Syllabus
- To use this template, go to File and select Make a Copy.
- You can easily customize the text style of headings in the Google Doc. Format one heading level, update the heading level to match selection, and the entire document updates!
- [Microsoft Word] Grayscale Course Syllabus
- To use this template, download the file to your computer and open it in Microsoft Word.
- If you’d like to apply your own style to the template, take a look at How to update the Heading Styles. Format one heading level, update the heading level to match selection, and the entire document updates!
- [Brightspace HTML] Course Syllabus
- To use this template, download the file to your computer, upload it to your D2L Brightspace course shell, and edit in D2L Brightspace. Note: This is the Online Learning Syllabus template. You will need to modify information for face-to-face or hybrid courses.
- This template can not be customized in D2L Brightspace.
If you are unsure as to what needs to be included in a PCC Syllabus, take a look at the Syllabus Standards for Credit Courses.
Required Formatting Elements
There are a variety of applications that can be used to create a syllabus such as Microsoft Word, Google Docs, D2L Brightspace, and Adobe Acrobat. Regardless of the application you choose to use, make sure the following elements are formatted correctly.
- Meaningful links
- Tables with column/row headers
- Images have alternative text
- Grade calculation equations are written with MathML or MathType (Word).
- Color has enough contrast and is not the primary method of conveying meaning or emphasis.
If you are unsure as to how to format these elements, take a look at the Creating Accessible Content page. There are tutorials for each of the applications listed.