Assignments – Google Apps Integration
The college provides all students access to Google Apps (also known as G Suite). The office suite includes Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and a cloud storage called Drive. You can use these applications to complete most course work without having to buy extra software (e.g. Microsoft Office). You can also submit work from your Google Drive account within D2L Brightspace.
Enable PCC Google Apps integration in D2L Brightspace
Before you can use Google Apps in Brightspace, you must authorize access your PCC Google Apps account. This links your accounts so that you can submit work from Google Drive within D2L Brightspace.
Quick Start Video
- Log in to your D2L Brightspace account
- Locate the “Access Google Apps” box found to the right of the “Announcements” box
- If your Google Apps Account is not already linked to D2L Brightspace then click Link to your Google Apps account
- If you do not see this option within the box then skip to step 6
- Input your MyPCC username (e.g. example.student) in the Google Apps Username box and ensure pcc.edu is set in the following drop down box
- Click Create Link
- Click the Authorize button
- You may need to log in with your PCC username & password
- Review the access notice and click the Allow button
- You will now see the Google Apps widget with a link to your Google Drive
Submit an assignment from Google Drive
Quick Start Video
- Go to the Assignments area of one of your courses
- Click on the title of the Assignment folder to get to the Assignment folder submission page
- Click the Add a File button.
- Click Google Drive for your document source
- Note: If you do not see this option, please make sure you have Authorized Google Apps with the instructions above.
- You will see a list of files in your PCC Google Drive account.
- You can also use the search field at the top to find the file you want to submit.
- Select the file that you want to submit by clicking on the checkbox to the left of the filename.
- You can select multiple files if you want to upload more than one file.
- Once you’ve selected the file(s) you want to submit, click the Add button in the bottom of the window.
- The file you chose will appear in the Files to submit section of the Submit Files page. If you’ve selected the wrong file, you can remove it from the list by clicking on the red X to the right of the filename.
- If you are satisfied with the file you’ve selected to submit, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
- D2L Brightspace will send you a confirmation indicating that you have successfully submitted the assignment.
Optional: Sharing the original document
To provide a sharable link to your original Google Doc/Sheet/Slide that your instructor can use to view, comment or edit, please follow these steps:
- Go to your Google Drive account
- Open the Google Doc/Sheet/Slide you would like to share
- Click the Share button in the upper right hand corner of the document
- Locate the “Get link” section of the “Share with people and groups” window
- Click the “Change” link to verify the permissions for how the shareable link will work
- You can switch whether people with the link can view, comment or edit your doc by clicking the box on the right hand side
- After checking the permissions, click the “Copy Link” button
- Return to D2L Brightspace and navigate to the Assignment Submission page (if you are not already there)
- Paste the shareable link into the Comments box under the Submit Files section of the page.
- You can paste by right clicking in the box and choosing Paste or pressing Ctrl + V (for PC) or Cmd + V (for Mac) on your keyboard.