Let’s Talk! Disaster Preparedness with Taryn Oakley

Student Advocates

On the third of May in 2023 Carrie Cantrell attended an event at PCC Cascade Campus called Go Bag! The purpose of the event was to distribute small pre-packed emergency kits, or “go-bags” to attendees at the event in the event of a sudden natural disaster such as earthquake or fire. Carrie interviewed the host of the event, Taryn Oakley, as well as many students and other attendees to gather their thoughts and perspectives on this topic.

You can also listen to this episode on Spotify.

Transcribed by Eugene Holden

Edited by Carrie Cantrell

Transcript

Introduction

Carrie: Thank you for listening to “Let’s Talk,” the podcast produced by and for students at PCC, exploring the world and the college experience through our perspectives. Today’s episode captures the onsite reactions and real-time thoughts of attendees to this May’s Go Bag Ready Event hosted by PCC science teacher, Taryn Oakley. Have you heard of the big one? What would you do in the event of a disaster? I’m Carrie Cantrell. I’m a student advocate in the accessible education and resource department, and I sat down with Taryn, along with many students, and one scheduled speaker at the event. Here’s what they each had to say.

Interview with Taryn Oakley

Carrie: So, on the microphone, we have Taryn Oakley. Hello, big fan. I took Taryn’s class last term.

Taryn: Environmental Science: Geological Perspectives.

Carrie: Cool. And we were part of the go bag design project and getting that ready, so it’s super fun to be here. Tell us a little bit about the experience and the process of getting this grant project off the ground and getting it started and implemented.

Taryn: Sure. So this has been for many years kind of a dream of mine, because as I was teaching students about the Cascadia Subduction Zone, I started to realize that many of them didn’t know about it, and were not at all prepared for, you know, when it happens. And so I started telling one of my coworkers about how I wished I could, you know, prepare more students and give them basic supply kits. And she was like, let’s do it, just get an Eco Social Justice Grant, and let’s just try. And I was like, I don’t know, I’m kind of busy. So we did it, and we got it. And it was a lot of work, but really fun because, like Carrie mentioned, we involved my students last term in designing the bags, and putting together the resources for the bags. And then my students this term are here at this event where they’re learning about the Cascadia Subduction Zone, and everyone’s getting to leave with a ready bag starter kit. And we have all sorts of amazing folks here tabling to share resources on how to make more resilient communities. So I’m really excited.

Carrie: So, I have here one of the go-bag ready bags. And would you be able to talk about some of the items in here? Like what’s this item here?

Taryn: Sure. So, these are the resources that my class last term created: there’s an emergency checklist, there is some background on the history, there’s another family plan, and Carrie’s team made this amazing brochure with additional resources.

Carrie: It came out well.

Taryn: Yeah, it looks fantastic. I wish y’all could see it. But if you’re a student, you can come grab a ready bag if there’s any leftover and you too can see it.

Carrie: So, we have info and then we’ve actually got some gear in here.

Taryn: Yeah, we’ve got an emergency blanket.

Carrie: Yeah, and this?

Taryn: A water filtration straw so you can drink out of non-potable water.

Carrie: And this?

Taryn: We’ve got a hand-operated crank flashlight and you don’t need batteries for it, some first aid supplies, we’ve got some Band-Aids, an emergency whistle, a lighter so you can get your stove started, a mirror that we can use for signaling, some gauze, some nitrile gloves, a map of the city because your internet’s not going to work, so you can still get around. And then it all comes in this nice little reflective bag that can kind of dual-purpose as a safety vest.

Carrie: Safety vest, water catchment system, food gathering, put it over your head, everything’s nice and rosy because it’s pink inside there now.

Taryn: There is a Ziploc bag for you to put your documents in later.

Carrie: Oh yeah.

Taryn: Like copies of your ID, maybe some cash, medicines that you might need in a pinch.

Carrie: Well, I learned a lot from your class last term and from doing this project, and I bet a lot of students today are gonna be super enlightened about the impending disaster. [laughter]

Taryn: Well thank you Carrie for being here and for doing this podcast.

Carrie: Absolutely. Thank you, Taryn.

Interviews with two students from ESOL Classes

Speaker 1: So, what are you doing? You’re just talking to students?

Carrie: Yeah, well, we’ve got a bunch of episodes just exploring student culture, campus culture on the website.

Speaker 1: Ok.

Carrie: And so, we’re here to just get people’s take on the whole disaster incoming and what’s in the bag.

Speaker 2: You have questions?

Carrie: Yeah, were you prepared for a disaster before this event?

Speaker 2: No, no. [laughter]

Speaker 1: Will you buy water now? Yes?

Speaker 1: Did you know there was going to be an earthquake here?

Speaker 2: Yes.

Speaker 2: I don’t know.

Speaker 1: Had you heard? Yeah?

Carrie: Would you like to be on the podcast? Yeah? Have a seat. So do you think about disasters like earthquakes all the time? Yes?

Speaker 3: Yes.

Carrie: What makes you think, are you ready now? Are you prepared?

Speaker 3: Uh-huh. For a disaster?

Carrie: For a disaster, yeah.

Speaker 3: In my home I have water, food, medicine, money, for two weeks.

Carrie: Yeah.

Speaker 3: For two weeks.

Carrie: Yeah.

Speaker 3: One water per person.

Carrie: Ok. Oh, bottle?

Speaker 3: Water. Uh-huh.

Carrie: Yeah, those are all important, yeah. So, thank you for sharing what you’ve learned. Hopefully we don’t have to use any of the supplies that are in the bag, right? Pray to God.

Speaker 3: Yeah.

Carrie: Yeah. [laughter] What is your name?

Speaker 3: My name is Ericka.

Carrie: Nice to meet you, I’m Carrie.

Speaker 3: Nice to meet you too.

Carrie: Thank you so much for talking with us today.

Speaker 3: Thank you.

Interview with Jonathon

Carrie: Yeah, absolutely. Thank you so much. Would you like to be on the podcast today? Okay, come sit down and tell us what you know. So first, thank you for being on the Let’s Talk podcast. We’re here to explore student’s perspectives. What’s your name?

Jonathan: Jonathan.

Carrie: Johnathan, good to meet you. My name is Carrie.

Jonathan: Good to meet you too.

Carrie: What brings you to the event here today?

Jonathan: One of our classes, we’re just coming to learn more about the earthquake.

Carrie: Okay. What did you learn about being prepared?

Jonathan: It could happen at any moment.

Carrie: It could happen at any moment, it’s scary [laughter] Did you think about being prepared for disasters before coming to this event?

Jonathan: Yeah, with our families we’ve talked about it before.

Carrie: Really? That’s good. So, you were raised on the West Coast and like thinking about these things?

Jonathan: Yeah, born here yeah.

Carrie: Okay, well, very cool, very cool. Did you learn anything new that you like hadn’t heard before, like something new?

Jonathan: Just more information added to what I already knew.

Carrie: Okay.

Jonathan: Before we knew how high the tsunami limits were.

Carrie: Yeah.

Jonathan: Now we learned that it’s a lot more.

Carrie: Yeah, so I think that’s the biggest impact that I learned from Taryn is that there’s gonna be a lot of people from the coast coming in.

Jonathan: Yeah.

Carrie: And it’s gonna be basically a big community effort to make sure everybody’s needs are taken care of. So, yeah. Well thank you so much for talking with us today.

Jonathan: Thank you.

Carrie: It’s been a real pleasure. Nice to meet you, Jonathan.

Interview with Anna

Anna: Hi, Carrie. I’m Anna.

Carrie: Nice to meet you.

Anna: Nice to meet you too.

Carrie: Welcome to the Let’s Talk podcast.

Anna: Cool. I think like, I have a background in geology, so like not a lot of it was new information.

Carrie: Okay.

Anna: But I think what was important for me was, just like the statistics, and the actual geological like proximity of where we are, because a lot of classes are more generalized, whereas this was very specific of like, this is how it will affect you.

Carrie: Yeah.

Anna: Yeah, that’s one of my big takeaways.

Carrie: Okay, cool. Did you get a chance to check out the stuff inside the goodie bag here?

Anna: I’m part of the class that helped pack them. So it’s been surprising me that everyone’s been talking about it.

Carrie: I was super proud we were part of the class that helped design this.

Anna: Nice!

Carrie: But my group mate Jordan made this map here, and very conveniently categorized things according to what geographic disasters might occur there in the city.

Anna: Nice, yeah, okay cool!

Carrie: Shout-out to Jordan. [laughter]

Anna: Nice.

Carrie: So if you’re concerned about where things specifically might happen and like where to avoid what hazards check out that map on the back of that brochure.

Anna: Yeah, awesome.

Carrie: Thanks so much for talking with us.

Anna: Yes, totally. Have a good day.

Carrie: Thank you, you too.

Interlude

Carrie: You want to be on the Let’s Talk podcast?

Speaker 4: Do I have to talk to [inaudible]?

Carrie: You don’t have to. No one has to do anything. Come have a seat [laughter]

Speaker 4: I’m gonna pass today.

Carrie: Okay, no problem, no problem, no problem. [laughter] So I am here to record a podcast about education and student’s reactions to this event, and to the news that Taryn is teaching in her class about disaster preparedness. And we’ve been focusing a lot, AEDR is at the next table over here, regarding disability access and disaster preparedness, impact and strategies. And we’ll be here to sort of like process, have a conversation. Yes, thank you so much.

Interview with Megan Faust

Carrie: Hi. I saw you presenting, would you like to sit down for a podcast, maybe a little soundbite?

Megan Faust: Oh sure. A soundbite?

Carrie: I produce the Let’s Talk podcast. I’m a PCC Disability Student Advocate. So we explore student culture and events happening on campus, you know. So we’re just here to talk about it. We’re produced through the Accessible Education & Disability Resources department. Yeah, come on! We’re just curious. So I saw you presenting in the Terrell Hall auditorium. Where’s your expert level? And what’s your name by the way? I’m Carrie.

Megan Faust: I’m Megan Faust.

Carrie: Nice to meet you, Megan. Thank you for being on our podcast. What’s your area of expertise when it comes to earthquakes and disasters?

Megan Faust: So I teach geology and general science and environmental studies here at PCC.

Carrie: Okay.

Megan Faust: And my background is more in geology.

Carrie: Oh very cool, very cool. And how’d the presentation go? This is like the first event I can remember hearing about on college campus at Cascade at PCC about disaster prep and things like that. Were you excited to be part of this?

Megan Faust: Yeah, I think it was a really great event. And I was excited to talk a lot about the science behind earthquakes, and specifically the Cascadia subduction zone as it pertains to us here in Portland.

Carrie: Yeah.

Megan Faust: And so we talked about subduction zones, and kind of the how we know what we know in terms of the history of the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

Carrie: Which is a very active history of being subducted and active volcanically and seismically as I understand.

Megan Faust: We have experienced several, well, many, dozens of large earthquakes along the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

Carrie: The key takeaway from that statement being that we will experience more large earthquakes along this subduction zone in the future. This is a trending pattern.

Megan Faust: We certainly will, yeah. And I guess the burning question is when.

Megan Faust: And we don’t yet have a very accurate way of predicting exactly when, what day and time. So it’s important for us to look at the historical record and understand what the recurrence interval is, so that we have an estimate of when one might go off.

Carrie: Okay. What is the current estimate? Within how many decades or years?

Megan Faust: So the recurrence interval that I’ve heard is kind of around 300 to 500 years, depending on what size earthquakes. And given that the last earthquake was in the year 1700, we are starting to enter that recurrence interval.

Carrie: Okay.

Megan Faust: So that’s not to say that we will certainly see one in our lifetime. It could happen. It could be in the future.

Carrie: Yeah.

Carrie: Okay. Well, just another reason to appreciate bringing this conversation into our cultural dialogue. That’s how we create ripples into the next generation, by embracing it. Thank you so much for talking with us today, Megan. We appreciate your knowledge that you shared in the auditorium as well.

Megan Faust: You’re welcome. Thank you.

Carrie: Have a good one.

Carrie: So you can check out our podcast episodes at pcc.edu/DCA, it stands for Disability Cultural Alliance. But yeah, this is kind of a new cultural place for disabled students, and disabled advocates where we’re putting our projects up and stuff like that. It was nice to meet you.

Interview with Suwali

Carrie: Hi, there. I’m Carrie.

Suwali: Nice to meet you, Carrie, I’m Suwali.

Carrie: Nice to meet you. Thank you for being on the Let’s Talk podcast. We explore student culture and perspectives from the viewpoint and lens of students experiencing disabilities. And we cover several topics basically. We’ve got a bunch of series that have to do with disabilities. But we also have many, many episodes about healthcare access, finding out information, and getting things from a student perspective. So what is your experience with disaster prep? What’s your knowledge about subduction zones and earthquakes?

Suwali:  I don’t really have that much experience or knowledge with what were to happen in a disaster in the area, or what else would happen. But there’s just just not too much information for I guess people of color in the state. I live in an area where most of the people that attend the schools are all POC, and we don’t get much resource or help with things like this. So we don’t really talk about what would happen if a disaster were to occur in Oregon or in Portland. So it’s just kind of a scary situation where it’s just like, oh, we’ll figure out once the time comes then. I guess the only knowledge you’ll know about it is hearing about maybe your children or maybe faculty or relatives that know about this sort of thing. Unfortunately, that’s as much as I would know. And so I think it’s really helpful when the school does things like this where they can help provide resources to talk about it with you. Especially without anxiety, because I feel like it’s such an anxious topic to talk about what would happen if a disaster would occur, and we wouldn’t even know what to do. Like where would we get our water supply from, where would we go to get the resources from, if we’ve never been taught or trained, what to do in case of these emergencies.

Carrie: What would you like to see as far as bringing more information into a circle of discussion?

Suwali:  I would like to see more resources and reach out into neighborhoods they would normally not go into, because I feel like where I live specifically in the Gresham area, I went into a middle school [inaudible], if there was even a chance that we got like field trips or people coming down there to talk to students and tell them or inform them about things we could do as of now to be proactive in cases where this happens. I feel like students would at least have a little more information than not having anything at all.

Carrie: Yeah.

Suwali:  Like starting really young, or just, I don’t know, involving more of the other cities that are not just in the North Portland area because feel like I’ve been in the area for a while. There is a lot of the community talking about things and ways that can help you, but they don’t think about Portland as a whole. I think just looking at certain parts of where they could help, but I don’t think they branch out as much as they tried to.

Carrie: Yeah. You know what the other thing too about talking to kids about these things is that kids are always so confident, always. Like, they light up when they have like a little bit of empowerment.

Suwali:  Yeah, they do.

Carrie: When you give someone, an adult, a flashlight, they’re like, what do you want me to do with this? And you give a kid a flashlight, they’re like great, now I’m ready. [laughter]

Suwali: They’re really passionate about it. I love their enthusiasm, they’re so cool.

Carrie: Yeah.

Suwali: But that’s precisely what I mean. I feel like if we take some initiative towards like, you know, learning about these things earlier on, you know, it wouldn’t be as hard as when we’re older and trying to like reflect on all of this, especially with like, mental issues. I feel like once you’re an adult, like there’s so many things affecting your wellbeing and then you’re learning how to like, solely survive. And now you have to be ready for the worst of the worst situation. You’re not even prepared for life. Yeah, I don’t know how to explain, that’s the best I can do. I’m a full-time student and a full-time worker, and I’m slowly just trying to get my life together. And now I’m just like opening up this conversation again since like the last time I talked about it in seventh grade; it’s really hard. And I’m just like, wow, now I have to think about what would I do in a case where like I have a little chance of survival, and I’m trying to take care of my family, and then all of my other family that lives out here. It’s a really hard topic.

Carrie: Yeah, that definitely makes you think about your priorities. And I think what I’m hearing from you is that you want to see more events like this, more widespread, so that it’s accessible and available to everyone to just talk about. And have that instinctual confidence, like can you be confident talking about it and performing it if you ever need to, because one of the barriers is that you’ve got so many other things going on in your life. That’s like, okay, it’s not instinctual, I have to like literally train my brain about it.

Carrie: Yeah, well I can definitely support that endeavor. And I mean Taryn did a really good job getting this grant funded and like it seems like an experiment.

Suwali: Yeah, I’m super happy to be here.

Carrie: I would love to see you doing some more events and passing out go bags and stuff like that, you can do it. [laughter]

Suwali: I would like to be a part of it too because I try to be really focused and engaging with the community and trying to do what I can. Because I understand we all have our own lives, but you know, coming together as a community is important.

Carrie: Cool. Thank you so much for sitting down

Suwali: Thank you for having me.

Carrie: Absolutely!

Suwali:  I appreciate talking to you.

Carrie: Yeah, have a great week.

Interview with Jay:

Carrie: Hey, how’s it going?

Jay: It’s good, how are you?

Carrie: Good! Do you want to sit down and join the podcast? [laughter]

Jay: I mean, [inaudible].

Carrie: So what is your name, please?

Jay: I’m Jay.

Carrie: Jay, good to meet you. I’m Carrie.

Jay: Hi Carrie.

Carrie: Thank you for sitting down with the Let’s Talk podcast. What did you know about disaster preparedness before today, before this event?

Jay: It’s something that I’ve thought a little bit about, for sure.

Carrie: Okay.

Jay: Just kind of growing up on the West Coast, California, and just down there also a high earthquake risk.

Carrie: Yeah.

Jay: So yeah, always just trying to stay prepared. I’m taking some wilderness first responder courses.

Carrie: Right, yeah.

Jay: And just kind of keeping stuff on hand lightly. Not like, you know, heavily prepared or anything like that.

Carrie: Yeah. Oregon is a state with a lot of wilderness and wildlands in it, so knowing how to sustain yourself off of the wilderness definitely an important survival skill.

Jay: Also yeah, just with having that medical training, that community, I think is so necessary. I mean I’ve run into circumstances a few times where somebody has been laying on the ground, and I had to come up and be that first responder. Or like there’s been car accidents. So it’s actually paid off a couple times.

Carrie: Wow.

Jay: To have that comfortability in a really high-stress situation just with a list of things to check off to make sure that like people are okay I think is a super good skill to have.

Carrie: Yeah. So how do you plan on getting supplies? Or are you just gonna head to the woods when the earthquake hits? [laughter]

Jay: I gotta make sure that my people are okay.

Carrie: Yeah.

Jay: I know like my brother, he knows [inaudible]. And I think the best mode is walking, personally.

Carrie: Walking, yeah.

Jay: Yeah. Slow and steady.

Carrie: Yeah, absolutely. More stable as well in case like another aftershock comes, and what if you’re carrying a huge load and then you lose a bunch of very important supplies or something because you are relying on your [inaudible]. There you go, yeah.

Jay: Yeah. I think that like staying light and just like communicating with your neighbors, really coming together and figuring out what can be done; I think that’s like how life persists is by networking, you know?

Carrie: Yeah, definitely.

Jay: So I think that’s like number one.

Carrie: Okay. Well thank you so much for sitting down and talking with us today.

Jay: Yeah, thank you, Carrie.

Carrie: You can check out Let’s Talk podcast at pcc.edu/DCA

Jay: Cool. I’ll definitely look into it.

Carrie: Okay.

Jay: Thank you so much.

Carrie: Have a nice day.

Jay: Yeah, you too.

Interview with Kevin:

Carrie: Hi! How are you doing?

Kevin: I’m good.

Carrie: Would you like to sit down and be part of our podcast for a short conversation? Ok. Scooch on in, get close to the microphone. What’s your name?

Kevin: Kevin.

Carrie: Kevin? Good to meet you. I’m Carrie.

Kevin: Good to meet you too.

Carrie: What did you know about disaster preparedness before this event today? Had you thought about it before?

Kevin: Yeah. I mean I guess just like survive, you know, in the best way you can.

Kevin: Not really. I mean I’ve just seen a bunch of movies on it.

Carrie: Yeah [laughter] Yeah, they have a lot of disaster movies out there.

Carrie: That’s right, yeah. Do you have kind of an idea of what your strategies are going to be now after this event?

Kevin: Yeah, a little bit. Yeah, now that I’ve got a little ready bag, I’m a little bit more prepared.

Carrie: Yeah.

Kevin: I guess I can say, with confidence, that if it does happen, I think it’s cool that we should get prepared now instead of later when it comes.

Carrie: Yeah. I also think about like getting, and this might be like counterproductive, this might not be a good idea, but I think about getting too prepared, and then like you said all this energy and investment in what if something comes, and then it’s like you don’t even need any of that, you know what I mean? Like there’s plenty of food like use all the stockpile of food. So for me, it’s just good to be thinking about it and not have any like one solution that’s gonna work but just like, okay, now my brain is prepared for the possibility it’s gonna happen.

Kevin: Yeah. I mean, I think it’s pretty good to be prepared in some way. Like COVID happened.

Carrie: Yeah.

Kevin: You know, like suddenly like everyone was buying toilet paper. [laughter] You know, there was no food and stuff. So, like, in a way like, you never know when you might need it, you know what I mean?

Carrie: Yeah.

Kevin: But it’s always good to have some stuff when you need it. And even though it’s like, oh, why do I need it?

Carrie: Who saw that coming with toilet paper though?

Kevin: That’s what I’m saying. [laughter] And nobody had money and stuff. We can be financially smarter, and not waste as many go bags, you know, and stuff like that. You know what I mean? And the economy’s falling right now.

Carrie: Having some cash in the background is gonna be a good idea, huh?

Kevin: Yeah. And being prepared.

Carrie: Be prepared. Yeah, just think about it. Yeah, good call, good call. And what was your name again?

Kevin: Kevin.

Carrie: Kevin?

Kevin: Yeah.

Carrie: Thank you so much for sitting down with us today, Kevin. Check us out at pcc.edu/DCA.

Kevin: Ok, yeah. What was your name again?

Carrie: Carrie.

Kevin: Oh, Carrie.

Carrie: Yeah.

Kevin: Thank you.

Carrie: See you, Kevin.

Carrie’s Last Stand

Carrie: Hi there, do you want to be on our podcast? We’re making a podcast for disability student advocates. We’re making a podcast for like a cultural center to talk about things. Okay, you don’t have to. [laughter]

Podcast Conclusion & Follow-up Info

Carrie: Thanks for being in the room with us while we processed these difficult truths about our beautiful home region in the Pacific Northwest. Between fires, earthquakes, volcanoes, or flash floods, we all should be ready in the event of a disaster by preserving at least three days of water, food, medicine, and energy like battery packs or chargers. We can all be prepared by familiarizing ourselves with the communication networks for emergencies in our individual neighborhoods. What do we do, people with disabilities? The ready-now emergency preparedness toolkit for people with disabilities is an online document written and published in 2014 by the Oregon Office on Disability and Health, the Institute of Development and Disability, and the Oregon Health & Science University. It outlines ten basic steps to emergency preparedness, which I will share with you now.

Ten steps to emergency preparedness
  1. Know what kinds of emergencies could happen in your area and consider what your neighborhood might look like after one happens.
  2. Complete a personal assessment. Think about what you will be able to do and what assistance you may need before, during, and after an emergency.
  3. Make your own support group of family, friends, relatives, neighbors, roommates, care providers, and people you work with who could help you in an emergency.
  4. Make an emergency information list so others will know whom to call if they find you unconscious, unable to speak, or if they need to help you leave your home quickly.
  5. Make a medical information list with the names and phone numbers of your doctors, your medications, how much you take, and your medical conditions. Write down what special equipment you use, your allergies, and any communication difficulties you have.
  6. Try to keep a seven-day supply of your medications with you, and fill your prescriptions as early as you can. Ask your doctor or pharmacist what you should do if you can’t get more right away. If you get treatments at a clinic or hospital, ask the person who helps you what to do if you can’t get your treatments during an emergency.
  7. Install at least one smoke alarm on each floor in your home and test them every month. Know where the main utility cut-off valves are, and learn how, and when to disconnect them during an emergency. Know evacuation routes and safe places to go during an emergency.
  8. Fill out a summary checklist to make sure that your emergency plan covers every problem you might have.
  9. Keep an emergency supply kit in your home, your car, workplace, or anywhere you spend your time. Include food, water, a first aid kit, adaptive equipment, batteries, and supplies for your pets or service animals.
  10. Make your home or office safer by checking hallways, stairwells, doorways, windows, and other areas for problems that may keep you from safely leaving a building during an emergency. Secure or remove furniture that may block your path.

This list is sourced from the Oregon Office on Disability and Health, the Institute of Development and Disability, and the Oregon Health & Science University. This list is also not comprehensive or in-depth. Our bodies and brains as members of the disabled community represent a spectrum of perspectives, abilities, and needs.

So to read and learn more about disability-specific strategies during an emergency, read this full document by clicking on the link provided here. You can find these transcripts at pcc.edu/DCA by following the links to Let’s Talk Podcast Collective and searching for this episode. Thanks again for listening to this episode of Let’s Talk. My name is Carrie Cantrell. I’m a student advocate in the Accessible Education and Disability Resources Department and I made this episode. Come join us and be a part of our podcast. If you are a student experiencing a disability and want a place on campus to connect with the community, come join us and be a part of our podcast. Go to pcc.edu/DCA and contact us.

This PCC research site created by Taryn Oakley contains helpful information specific to PCC community members and residents of the PNW. Follow this link to Taryn Oakley’s Disaster Preparedness Research Site.

Search: Disability Cultural Alliance (DCA)