Retail Business Builders
Get in touch
Launch and run your retail business with confidence.
1 in 4 new businesses fail within the first year. And, only 47% of new retail businesses make it past 4 years in operation.*
The upfront costs of opening a retail business – the lease, the build out, the inventory – can be very expensive. The wrong decisions could mean unplanned expenses and not making it past the 1 year mark.
Starting a successful retail business requires proper planning to create a retail brand that attracts and keeps customers coming back. You’ll need to think about your points of sale, inventory and pricing strategy, marketing, customer service, and cash flow.
The Retail Business Builders program breaks down the critical components of opening a retail business and provides practical how-to’s for making the right decisions when you’re just starting out. You’ll learn from successful local retailers, retail subject-matter experts, and work with seasoned retail business advisors.
Retail Business Builders is a 10 week program, meeting once per week for a 3 hour session. But, it’s more than just a class. It includes:
- Group learning and networking to discuss challenges, exchange resources, and find solutions with peers.
- 30 hours of business education specifically designed for retail business owners taught by subject matter experts and successful local retailers. Complete the form on this page to get a detailed course outline.
- Session 1: Retail Business Stages and Structures
- Session 2: Visual Merchandising
- Session 3: Buying Inventory
- Session 4: Pricing
- Session 5: Keeping Track of Money
- Session 6: Attracting Customers
- Session 7: Digital Marketing
- Session 8: Implementing Best Practices
- Session 9: Building and Keeping Local Customers
- Session 10: Retail is a Team Sport
- Up to 5 hours of one-on-one advising, which you can use during the course or within a 10 month period following Retail Business Builders.
- Complimentary access to “Before You Go Global,” an online course to help you start selling your products in global markets.
- Access to specialty business advisors with a wide range of expertise.
- Access to market research resources such as Southern Oregon University Market Research Institute, SBDCNet, Reference USA, MarketLink, and Euromonitor.
- 30 hours of education divided into 10 weekly, 3 hour sessions
- Up to 5 hours of one-on-one advising, which you can use during the course or within a 10 month period following Retail Business Builders
- Expect to spend time outside of the classroom and your advising sessions to work on different aspects of your business
- Tuition is $799.
- Tuition can be paid in 5, monthly payments of $160.
- An additional person from your business can take the course for 1/2 price, $400.
- Invaluable advice from industry experts that will save you years of frustration, and potentially thousands of dollars.
- Support from a network of peers and mentors
- Confidence to make the right decisions for your new business
Leslie Hildula, MBA
Leslie helps entrepreneurs achieve their goals. Working with the SBDC since 2012, she has been coaching and educating clients in 3 counties, and led the growth of the Retail SBM program. A graduate of Pacific University and Golden Gate University (with a Masters in International Management), Leslie has consulted with business owners throughout the West Coast and overseas. She started her professional career in Silicon Valley in the high tech industry and came back home to Oregon in 1990. In Oregon, she’s had the opportunity to work in both the private and public sectors and understands the vital synergy between them. Her retail clients include Aries Apparel, Crafty Wonderland, Folly, Frock, Ink & Peat, Queen Bee, Radish Underground, Red Castle Games, Salty’s Pet Supply, and Tilde.
What Our Clients Say
“Regardless of your expertise or background, this was extremely eye opening, inspiring and beneficial!!” Vanessa Curry, co-owner of Small Fry
“I walked away from each class with nuggets to take back to my business. It inspired me to be a better business woman.” Elle Poindexter, co-owner of Small Fry
“Even with 10 years of Retail Management experience, there was never a week that I didn’t learn something new!” Sarah Marshall
Watch as Leslie Hildula interviews past and present students from her retail business programs and learn about the challenges and solutions to their small business experience. Learn more here.
Upcoming Schedule for Retail Business Builders
Find the CRN of your course from the class schedule. Then, register:
- Online: If this is your first time taking a class at PCC, create an account. If you are a returning student, log on to MyPCC and click “Register for classes,” found in your Term-to-Term Checklist, under “Register”.
- Phone: Call 971-722-8888, option 2.