CCOG for WLD 276B Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- WLD 276B
- Course Title:
- Advanced Fabrication Welding Practice
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, lab demonstrations and technical skills. Course outcomes will include theoretical concepts, layout, fabrication, welding, Oxyacetylene cutting, safety and environmental awareness, communication, computations and human relations.
Intended Outcomes for the course
•Function safely in a welding shop environment.
•Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
•Weld common joint configurations using advanced fabrication tools to industry standards.
•Apply the use of visual inspection tools as set forth in AWS D1.1, Structural Welding Code.
•Interpret blueprints and shop drawings to industry standards.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, observations, written assignments, visual inspection techniques, welding tests, safe work habits, task performance and work relations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Shop
* Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear
* Understand and practice hand tool and power tool safety
* Understand and practice equipment safety for welding and oxy-fuel cutting systems
* Understand and maintain a safe work area
* Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
* Understand and practice fire prevention
* Access and explain the importance of the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
Demonstrate professional work ethics (Habits)
* Track training hours on time card
* Perform projects in accordance to specifications and procedures
* Follow oral and written directions in a positive manner
* Manage time productively
* Respects equipment and others
* Demonstrate skill in problem solving and decision making
Operate oxyacetylene portable welding units and manifold system in accordance with industry standards
* Demonstrate correct setup and shutdown procedures for the portable welding tanks and manifold system.
Interpret drawing and symbols to accurately layout, prepare and assemble weld joints
* Interpret lines, symbols and verbiage on project drawing.
* Layout material per drawing specifications.
* Assemble weld project per specification.
* Participate in shop cleanup.
Weld groove joints in the selected welding process to code quality standards in the vertical, and overhead positions
* Develop a working knowledge of the vocabulary used in the welding industry.
* Use correct terminology.
* Define terms used in the selected Welding process.
* Equipment identification, setup, shut down, and adjustment of equipment to settings called for.
* Filler rod identification and classification, characteristics, and use
* Demonstrate how to adjust travel speed and amount of heat for thickness of material, and weld bead size.
* Demonstrate correct welding techniques with the selected welding process.
Starting and stopping
Follow welding procedure
* Demonstrate correct welding techniques in the following joints:
* Demonstrate visual examination principles and practices
Know Visual inspection Criteria