CCOG for WLD 151 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- WLD 151
- Course Title:
- SMAW Certification Practice: Unlimited Thickness Mild Steel
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, and lab demonstrations covering technical skills. Course outcomes will include; theoretical concepts, lay out, fabrication, welding, oxy-fuel cutting and safety.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Understand and apply code requirements for SMAW E7018.
- Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Weld single V-groove welds with E7018 to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code.
- Operate a Carbon Arc Cutting - Air (CAC-A) system in accordance with industry standards.
- Apply visual and destructive examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1.
Course Activities and Design
Welding lec/lab courses are Open Entry and Open Exit (OE/OE) and are offered concurrently. Courses are designed to meet the needs of the students with flexible scheduling options. Students may attend full time or part time. This is an OE/OE course which does not align with the normal academic calendar.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, visual inspection welding tests and task performance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Shop.
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear
- Understand and practice power tool safety
- Understand and practice equipment safety for welding and oxy-fuel cutting systems
- Understand and maintain a safe work area
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
- Understand and practice fire prevention
Operate oxy-acetylene portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Demonstrate correct setup and shutdown procedures for the hand cutting and track cutting systems
- Perform oxy-fuel cutting with guided practice
Understand and apply code requirements for SMAW E7018.
- Demonstrate proper Arc Length and Travel speed
- Demonstrate correct starting, stopping and restarting techniques
- Demonstrate proper bead placement for single V-groove welds
Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Interpret lines, symbols, views and notes
- Lay out material per specifications
- Use the oxy-fuel cutting process to cut material to specified dimensions
- Assemble project per welding procedure specifications (WPS)
Weld single V-groove welds with E7018 to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code in the following joint configurations and positions.
- Vertical position
- Single V-groove
- Overhead position
- Single V-groove
Operate a Carbon Arc Cutting - Air (CAC-A) system in accordance with industry standards.
- Demonstrate the effects of the following variables in position: electrode angle, amperage setting, air pressure and travel speed
- Demonstrate correct CAC-A gouging techniques on single V-groove welds
Apply visual and destructive examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1.
- Explain visual inspection criteria
- Evaluate welds using appropriate welding inspection tools
- Assess weld discontinuities causes and corrections