CCOG for MSD 227 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- MSD 227
- Course Title:
- Global Sourcing & Product Development
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Examines global sourcing strategies in supply chain management with a global context. Includes contract administration, cost analysis, product development and supplier selections. Explores strategic sourcing concepts and principles in product/commodity sourcing as pursued by leading edge firms. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Use an understanding of the global sourcing process, including green sourcing and ethical and sustainability issues to support best practices in line with corporate/social responsibility.
- Apply knowledge of the product development process from a supply chain management perspective to design the most timely and cost effective process.
- Examine key supplier identification criteria and the steps used to develop a supplier evaluation selection survey in support of a company’s total quality objectives.
- Conduct a detailed analysis of a business sourcing problem that involves identifying challenges and possible solutions.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as case studies, role-plays, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Communication skills in the global context
- Analytical skills
- Negotiation skills
- Quality management
- Project management
CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES
- Supplier selections
- Sourcing strategies
- Cost analysis
- Product development
- Understand the process of product development and supplier selection
- Ethical and sustainability issues impact global sourcing practices and decision.
- Understand current sourcing trends and methods
- The impact of sourcing decisions related to new product development