CCOG for MSD 203 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- MSD 203
- Course Title:
- Emotional Intelligence in Work
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Examines models, concepts and core competencies of emotional intelligence. Explores various skills to enhance emotional well-being and to build productive professional relationships in a diverse organizational climate. Includes developing strategies for managing others with various emotional competency levels. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Identify emotional intelligence strategies employees can implement to facilitate effective working relations in a diverse workforce.
- Utilize skills to enhance abilities in recognizing and appropriately responding to customers’ and employees’ emotions.
- Analyze the role emotional intelligence plays in supporting an organization’s success and productivity.
- Apply emotional intelligence techniques in leading and motivating teams to achieve desired organizational outcomes.
Course Activities and Design
Uses lecture, case studies, group and individual student activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Apply individual and /or group skill-building activities such as role-plays, case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Use written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Complete exams comprising of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper requiring integration application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- IQ vs EI (emotional intelligence)
- Reading others correctly
- Managing emotions
- Effect work relationships
- Managing conflict
- EI behaviors support high performance
- Increase job satisfaction
- Decision making
- Utilizing emotional intelligence to manage self.
- Managing other through emotional intelligence
- Understanding how to use emotions in facilitating thought and behavior
- Knowing the difference between reaction and considered response
- Expanding knowledge of emotional patterns in yourself and others.
- Identify emotions in workplace setting
- Recognize the benefits of Emotional Intelligence
- Build more effective work relationships
- Identify the competencies of Emotional Intelligence
- Ability to empathize
- Techniques to manage emotions
- Recognize emotional state of others
- Manage conflict using emotional intelligence tools.
- Knowledge and IQ alone does not predict success in the workplace.
- Manage those displaying debilitating emotions.