CCOG for MSD 194 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- MSD 194
- Course Title:
- Effective Presentation Skills Using PowerPoint
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Design and create a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation using critical thinking skills and following current professional and/or industry standards.
- Explain what to look for when analyzing the audience and approaching the presentation from the listener's perspective.
- Discuss the variety of PowerPoint delivery methods such as virtual conferencing platforms to make the best selection from the perspective of the intended audience.
- Describe the value of incorporating time for participant interaction along with techniques for managing questions and/or objections.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
● Make a MS PowerPoint presentation including designing slides, analyzing the audience, and handling questions.
● Explain the importance of analyzing the audience and describe how this affects the style of presentation.
● Design a feedback tool that objectively measures the effectiveness of a presentation.
● Apply learned skills through an outside project.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Outline a presentation.
- Identify communication techniques to effectively influence listening.
- Describe steps for creating multiple slide presentations to include the use of:
- Use “Rehearse Timings”
- Apply “Record Slide Show” to create a presentation
- Use “Outline View”
- Apply “Slide Sorter”
- Investigate “Set Up Slide Show” for diverse venues (e.g., kiosks, on-line, in-person) or with options for loops
- Customize templates
- Understand presentation functions pertaining to various virtual conference platforms
- Demonstrate how to handle questions or objections.
- Explain the importance of staying professional under stress including ways to manage anxiety.
CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES
Effective presentations require a balance of preparation, organization, information, appropriate and stimulating PowerPoint presentations, question & answer opportunities, and managing anxiety.
Presenters must know the audience, prioritize the information, communicate confidence, and dress appropriately.
Presenters may need to handle a hostile audience, be adaptable when equipment fails, and be sensitive to time requirements.