CCOG for HUS 107 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- HUS 107
- Course Title:
- Mental Health First Aid: Older Adult
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Uses curriculum developed by Mental Health First Aid USA: https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/cs/. This course is delivered by a certified Mental Health First Aid USA instructor who completes comprehensive training and meets certification requirements.
Students who complete this course successfully will earn Mental Health First Aid certification from the National Council on Behavioral Health. Full attendance is mandatory to meet national certification requirements.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Examine older adult culture and perspectives to recognize potential risk factors and warning signs for a range of mental health problems including: depression, anxiety, trauma, psychosis and psychotic disorders, substance use disorders, and self-injury.
- Use the 5-step action plan to help older adults in crisis connect with appropriate professional help.
- Examine the prevalence of various mental health disorders in the United States and the need for reduced stigma.
- Apply knowledge of appropriate professional, peer, social, and self-help resources available to help an older adult with a mental health problem treat and manage the problem and achieve recovery.
- Assess personal views and feelings about mental health problems and disorders.
- Apply mental health first aid to the older adult population and those who work with them.
Course Activities and Design
- Small group work
- Role play and action method
- Teach back
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Final exam
- Small group demonstration
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Mental health
- Peer support
- Community resources
- Crisis intervention
- Older adult