CCOG for HUS 106 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- HUS 106
- Course Title:
- Mental Health First Aid: Youth
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Uses curriculum developed by Mental Health First Aid USA: https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/cs/. This course is delivered by a certified Mental Health First Aid USA instructor who completes comprehensive training and meets certification requirements.
Students who complete this course successfully with earn Youth Mental Health First Aid certification from the National Council on Behavioral Health. Full attendance is mandatory to meet national certification requirements.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Recognize the potential risk factors and warning signs of a variety of mental health challenges common among adolescents, including: depression, anxiety, psychosis, eating disorders, AD/HD, disruptive behavioral disorders, and substance use disorders.
- Use a 5-step action plan to help a young person in crisis connect with appropriate professional help.
- Interpret the prevalence of various mental health disorders in youth within the U.S. and the need for reduced negative attitudes in their communities.
- Apply knowledge of the appropriate professional, peer, social, and self-help resources available to help a young person with a mental health problem treat and manage the problem and achieve recovery.
- Assess their own views and feelings about youth mental health problems and disorders.
Course Activities and Design
- Small group work
- Role play and action method
- Teach back
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Mental health opinions quiz
- Final exam
- Small group demonstration
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Mental health
- Peer support
- Community resources
- Crisis intervention