CCOG for HUS 102 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- HUS 102
- Course Title:
- Mental Health First Aid: Adult
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Uses curriculum developed by Mental Health First Aid USA: www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org. This course is delivered by a certified Mental Health First Aide USA instructor who completes training and meets certification requirements.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Recognize potential risk factors and warning signs for a range of mental health problems, including: depression, anxiety/trauma, psychosis and psychotic disorders, substance use disorders, and self-injury.
- Use 5-step action plan to help individuals in crisis connect with appropriate professional help.
- Examine the prevalence of various mental health disorders in the United States and the need for reduced stigma.
- Apply knowledge of appropriate professional, peer, social, and self-help resources available to help someone with a mental health problem treat and manage the problem and achieve recovery.
- Assess personal views and feelings about mental health problems and disorders.
Course Activities and Design
- Small group work
- Role play and action method
- Teach back
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Final exam
- Small group demonstration
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Mental health
- Peer support
- Community resources
- Crisis intervention