CCOG for GRN 282 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- GRN 282
- Course Title:
- Gerontology Professional Seminar
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Required for the Gerontology AAS Degree and all Gerontology Certificates. Should be taken in final term or close to the end of the student’s Gerontology coursework. Gerontology Homeroom in D2L and Job Skills Workshops available to students completing the Degree or additional Certificates after taking GRN282.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Develop professional plans to meet evolving career and educational/training goals, based on experience, interests, and trends in the field.
- Build a professional network, portfolio, and a range of appropriate tools for advancing career opportunities.
- Utilize learning outcomes assessment practices to guide ongoing professional development.
Course Activities and Design
Through workshop, on-line, and field-based formats, students will participate in a seminar with other gerontology majors, prepare and get feedback on portfolios and resumes appropriate to targeted careers in the field of again, receive guidance from a gerontology specialist, and participate in other activities to prepare for entry into or path change within the field of aging.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Select specific job goals (s) and/or identify advanced study/degree options
- Learn successful job search strategies, including creating and circulating effective cover letters and resumes.
- Identify relevant artifacts and compile a personalized employment portfolio
- Practice and prepare for a variety of job interview situations
- Acquire relevant knowledge about specific career opportunities and gain information about additional education and training options in the field.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Options and paths in gerontology and its subfields
- Projected developments and changes in demography and the field
- Education, training and resources for ongoing professional development in the field
- Professional gerontology organizations, standards and ethics.