CCOG for GD 114 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- GD 114
- Course Title:
- Introductory Typography
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is a required course for students intending to continue in the Graphic Design program at Portland Community College. In order to declare a major of Graphic Design and continue in subsequent courses within the PCC GD Program, students must earn a grade of “B” or higher in GD 101, GD 114, and GD120 and GD 150.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
• Utilize the form of letters as design elements.
• Alter existing letterforms to create original designs.
• Identify defining characteristics of typefaces.
• Use typographic vocabulary when discussing, analyzing or presenting designs.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Design typographic layouts using specific design principles and techniques.
Quizzes on type anatomy, typographic terminology and type identification.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Utilize the design process.
- Work with type as a design element.
- Use correct typographic terminology.
- Use the photocopy machine as a design tool.
- Work with rulers, templates and French curves.
- Create accurate layouts with trim marks and bleeds.
- Present and analyze designs with a group.