CCOG for GD 124 Spring 2023
- Course Number:
- GD 124
- Course Title:
- Graphic Design 3
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces concept generation for graphic communication. Emphasizes research, symbol design, and continuity of elements across a designed campaign. Prerequisites: GD 116, GD 122, GD 140, GD 151. Prerequisites/concurrent: GD 141, GD 160, GD 182.
Addendum to Course Description
A "B" grade or higher is required for placement into the second year of the Graphic Design program
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Develop a brand identity for a client.
- Apply identity elements to various communication materials.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Research an existing business or event
- Identify existing symbolism and color palettes
- Create a symbol independent of typography
- Create a symbol that works in both B&W and multiple colors
- Create a scalable symbol
- Work with multiple colors, format sizes, dimensions and a variety of materials
- Explore type, symbol and color relationships
- Apply selective color palette
- Create packaging incorporating specific identity elements
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Identity analysis and redesign
Symbols and logo lock-ups
Limited color palettes
- Develop design solutions through process driven methods.
- Explore symbol design based on research elements
- Correctly use graphic design tools and materials
- Identify design elements and principles
- Demonstrate visual hierarchy, focal points and eye flow
- Present work to a group, using appropriate design terms and vocabulary
- Analyze and critique designs both independently and in a group
- Combine illustration and layout using multiple software programs.
- Correctly prepare artwork for presentation