CCOG for CSS 200 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- CSS 200
- Course Title:
- Soils and Plant Nutrition
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Perform field and basic lab tests to determine existing soil properties.
- Analyze existing soil conditions to determine fertility and capacity to support plant growth.
- Recommend and make modifications to existing soil conditions to provide for optimum plant growth.
- Present data, analysis, recommendations and modifications for specific landscape sites in verbal, visual, and written format to clients in a professional manner.
- Use sustainable practices to protect, correct and improve the health of soils, reducing costs, resource consumption and environmental impact.
Course Activities and Design
lab activities including group work, independent student work
class project and presentation
Outcome Assessment Strategies
weekly lab sheets
project and presentation evaluation
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
-soils and plant interrelationships
-physical, biological and chemical properties of soils
-the use of organic and inorganic means to achieve optimum plant growth
-soil sampling and analysis