CCOG for AVS 135 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- AVS 135
- Course Title:
- Airplane: Instrument Flight
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course utilizes the Hillsboro Aero Academy FAA 141-approved Instrument Commercial Training Course Outline (TCO), and covers flight instruction in stages 1, 2 and 4.
A specific number of hours of training are required to meet the outcomes for this course, and will be provided by PCC's contracted flight training provider under PCC supervision. Outcomes will be assessed by written, oral and practical (flight) tests.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Qualify to take the FAA practical test for the airplane instrument rating.
- Take responsibility as pilot-in-command to competently conduct the planning, preflight action, weather analysis, and other procedures necessary to safely conduct flights under instrument flight rules.
- Exercise the flying skills necessary to conduct safe flights solely by reference to instruments.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Evaluation methods will include written, oral, and practical testing. Evaluation levels will meet or exceed those defined by the FAA Instrument Rating Airman Certification Standards. Completion standards for each lesson can be found in the TCO, which will be provided to the student, and should lead towards reaching the desired course outcomes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
(1) Preflight preparation;
(2) Preflight procedures;
(3) Air traffic control clearances and procedures;
(4) Flight by reference to instruments;
(5) Navigation systems;
(6) Instrument approach procedures;
(7) Emergency operations; and
(8) Postflight procedures.