CCOG for ART 197 Spring 2023
- Course Number:
- ART 197
- Course Title:
- Artist Skills/Practical Issues
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Includes gallery/exhibition/studio/non-profit visits, guest lectures and internship/service learning opportunities when available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Describe a personal and/or professional mission statement.
- Organize and compose a professional artist statement and resume.
- Design and create a personal portfolio, website and marketing materials for distribution.
- Evaluate one’s own interests and work in relation to the larger contexts and histories of Art.
- Evaluate opportunities in the Visual Arts in relation to one’s work and goals.
Students completing an associate degree at Portland Community College will be able to reflect on one’s work or competencies to make connections between course content and lived experience.
General education philosophy statement
The study of Visual Arts is essential to the development of the individual and one’s meaningful participation in society. At the heart of artistic practice is the ability to organize experience and recognize its meaning. The creation of artwork and appreciation of aesthetics is a source of great pleasure and also a valuable means to effective visual communication. Participating in Visual Arts is an important way for individuals to connect to the past and respond to the present with a stronger sense of engagement with culture and society.
Course Activities and Design
Course activities build practical skills (e.g. resume, website, etc.) and explore the diversity of opportunities, communities and modalities in the Visual Arts.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
● Create appropriately considered and executed solutions to assigned projects.
● Demonstrate contextual and self-awareness through research, discussion and personal writings.
● Participate in all class activities and discussions.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
● Contextual awareness
● Goal setting
● Community building
● Finding resources and support
● Financial concerns
● Studio and workspace concerns
- Goal setting and mission statement development
- Resume (Curriculum Vitae or CV) writing
- Artist Statement writing
- Application writing
- Portfolio development
- Website/web presence development
- Social media engagement
- Development and execution of marketing materials
- Research and engagement strategies
- Critique and self-reflection strategies