CCOG for FT 103 archive revision 201602
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Spring 2016 through Summer 2018
- Course Number:
- FT 103
- Course Title:
- Nutrition for Fitness Instructors
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Apply nutrition concepts, assessments & dietary planning practices to athletic performance.
- Use knowledge of energy metabolism and nutrient relationship to athletic performance to effectively educate, communicate and empower athletes to make nutritional behavior changes.
- Perform nutritional consultations to enhance athletic performance while also focusing on weight management and disordered eating.
- Analyze a variety of nutritional ergogenic aids and sports supplements for clients.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Written Exams and/or Assignments
Class Presentations & Group Work
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Evaluation of nutrition research and nutritional claims
Dietary planning: goals and guidelines, interpreting food labels
Energy systems: metabolism and performance
Relationship of the nutrient classes to athletic performance
Nutritional ergogenic aids
Energy balance and weight loss/weight gain
Special topics in sports nutrition:
supplementation, anti-oxidants, female athlete triad, sports drinks, disordered eating