CCOG for FT 103 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- FT 103
- Course Title:
- Nutrition for Exercise
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Use scientifically accepted methods to research the influence of nutrition in physical activity and lifestyle factors.
- Classify and analyze carbohydrates, fats, and proteins as fuels for exercise and physical activity in a variety of active populations.
- Apply behavior modification theories to facilitate changes in the relationship between body composition and health.
- Describe and calculate appropriate hydration guidelines for use during and after exercise.
- Cite and correlate the Dietary Guidelines for Americans into healthy dietary options for the active individual.
- Apply the guidelines of the female triad athlete to exercise and nutrition.
- Clarify misconceptions about fad diets, weight loss methods, dietary supplements, and other popular dietary approaches.
- Assess current caloric intake to create guidelines for individuals desiring to lose or gain weight.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Written Exams and/or Assignments
Class Presentations & Group Work
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Evaluation of nutrition research and nutritional claims
Dietary planning: goals and guidelines, interpreting food labels
Energy systems: metabolism and performance
Relationship of the nutrient classes to athletic performance
Nutritional ergogenic aids
Energy balance and weight loss/weight gain
Special topics in sports nutrition:
supplementation, anti-oxidants, female athlete triad, sports drinks, disordered eating