CCOG for AVS 265 archive revision 201401
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Winter 2014 through Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- AVS 265
- Course Title:
- Helicopter: CFI Flight
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed to complete the flight training requirements of the Federal Aviation Administration for a Flight Instructor rating. Lecture, discussion, demonstration sessions and lab practice supported by written and multi-media materials will present the student with the knowledge and skill necessary to complete oral and practical tests that are required to obtain a Flight Instructor rating. This is an individually scheduled, open-entry, open-exit course.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Fly and teach required maneuvers from the left (instructor) seat to FAA Practical Test Standards.
- Qualify to take the FAA Helicopter Certified Flight Instructor and Helicopter Instrument Instructor knowledge and practical tests, and qualify to take the FAA Fundamentals of Instructing knowledge test.
- Provide safe, high-quality flight instruction to students seeking FAA Pilot Certificates.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course, the instructor will detail the methods used to evaluate and record student progress and the criteria for assigning a course grade. Evaluation methods will include written, oral, and practical testing. Evaluation levels will meet or exceed those defined by the FAA Flight Instructor Practical Test Standards.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The remaining pages of this Course Content and Outcome Guide present the competencies, skills, concepts and themes which are designed to result in the outcomes listed above.
- Fundamentals of instructing
- Technical subjects
- Aeromedical factors
- Visual scanning and collision avoidance
- Use of distractions during flight training
- Principles of flight
- Helicopter flight controls
- Helicopter weight and balance
- Navigation and flight planning
- Night operations
- Regulations and publications
- Use of minimum equipment list
- National airspace system
- Logbook entries and certificate endorsements
- Preflight preparation
- Preflight lesson on a maneuver to be performed in flight
- Preflight procedures
- Airport and heliport operations
- Hovering maneuvers
- Takeoffs, landings and go-arounds
- Fundamentals of flight
- Performance maneuvers
- Emergency operations
- Special operations
- Post flight procedures