CCOG for ATH 209 archive revision 201704
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Fall 2017 through Summer 2018
- Course Number:
- ATH 209
- Course Title:
- Cultural Anthropology: Cultural Growth & Change
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Students will examine the effects of culture change on at least two societies. Students should read and write at the college level.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Master more advanced concepts in anthropology related to culture change.
2. Reflect on how personal and social values are shaped by culture at the local and global level.
3. examine the role acculturation plays in creating culture change.
Social Inquiry and Analysis
Students completing an associate degree at Portland Community College will be able to apply methods of inquiry and analysis to examine social contexts and the diversity of human thought and experience.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment strategies may include any of the following:
* exams (take home or in class)
* term papers
* short papers or reports
* student presentations
* experiential exercises
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- cultural traditions vs. cultural progress
- acculturation and its effects on:
- world view
- social structure
- understand the concept of acculturation
- examine the effect of acculturation on different cultural systems
- read and write at the college level
- orally present original research on culture change