CCOG for ATH 103 archive revision 201403
You are viewing an old version of the CCOG. View current version »
- Effective Term:
- Summer 2014 through Winter 2017
- Course Number:
- ATH 103
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course will focus on at least two different cultures. Students are expected to read and write at the college level.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Master basic concepts in cultural anthropology in order to prepare for more advanced course work.
2. Reflect on how personal and social values are shaped by culture.
3. Examine the role ethnocentrism plays in promoting cultural misunderstanding and intolerance at the local and global level.
Social Inquiry and Analysis
Students completing an associate degree at Portland Community College will be able to apply methods of inquiry and analysis to examine social contexts and the diversity of human thought and experience.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment strategies may include any of the following:
* exams (in class or take home)
* student presentations
* experiential exercises
* term papers
* short papers or reports
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- cross cultural research
- cultural relativism
- cultural adaptation
- cultural institutions
- world view
- read and write at the college level
- participate in focus group exercises
- understand the concept of culture
- recognize ethnocentrism