CCOG for APR 268 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- APR 268
- Course Title:
- Industrial Equipment Controls
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Required Course for Apprentices registered in the Millwright/Industrial Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship Program. It is open to any other student but requires Department Permission to take this course.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Adjust, select, and install the control, switching, and feed-back components in an industrial control system in order to maximize precision and efficiency at an industrial worksite, manufacturing plant, and/or processing facility.
- Troubleshoot, repair, and replace the control, switching and feed-back components found in an industrial control system in order to maximize precision and efficiency at an industrial worksite, manufacturing plant and/or processing facility.
- Diagnose and analyze industrial control systems for precision, efficiency, and cost effective operation.
- Apply the principles of control logic to industrial control systems for maximum precision, efficiency, and cost effective operation.
- *Identify mechanical and/or electrical industrial systems (*required statewide outcome).
Course Activities and Design
The Course Design is primarily lecture coupled with demonstrations of industrial controls, switches, and feedback devices. Instruction will also include guest speakers from control manufacturing and distribution companies, and field trips to selected industrial sites.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment will be accomplished using skills' checklists filled out by an adequate sampling of Millwright/Industrial Maintenance Technician Training Agents and/or an Apprentice's Journey Person.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Interpretation of control system schematics and blueprints
- Application of programmable controls
- Limitations of programmable controls
- Application of PID control
- Application of Human Machine Interface (HMI)
- Interpreting diagnostic output charts
- Interpreting positional data
- Push button switches
- Selector switches
- Foot switches
- Flow switches
- Presser Switches
- Limit Switches
- Proximity Sensors
- Photo electric sensors
- Thru-beam photoelectric switch
- Retroflective photoelectric switches
- Diffuse photoelectric switch
- Limit switches
- Rotary switches
- Inductive proximity switches
- Capacitive proximity switches
- Safety switches
- Pneumatic transducers
- Hydraulic transducers
- Fluid level switches
- Feedback device alignment
- Safe work practices
- Whole system diagnosis