CCOG for APR 266 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- APR 266
- Course Title:
- Predictive Maintenance Technologies
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Required Course for Apprentices registered in the Millwright/Industrial Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship Program. It is open to any other student but requires Department Permission to take this course.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Determine the appropriate monitoring technologies that are applicable to a site specific piece of industrial equipment and/or machinery.
- Collect data using appropriate instrumentation, such as Infrared Thermography Cameras and Ultrasonic Detectors, for a site specific piece of industrial equipment and/or machinery.
- Use computer software to create a written PdM plan based on data collected from site specific industrial equipment and/or machinery.
- Apply appropriate maintenance procedures, using a PdM plan, to Industrial equipment and /or machinery
- *Define lubrication processes with trade-specific industrial materials and equipment (*required statewide outcome).
- *Develop machine shops skills in troubleshooting (*required statewide outcome).
Course Activities and Design
The Course Design is primarily lecture with in-class demonstrations of monitoring technologies, instrumentation, and tools; and the application of computer software to develop written PdM plans.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment will be accomplished using skills' checklists filled out by an adequate sampling of Millwright/Industrial Maintenance Technician Training Agents and/or an Apprentice's Journey Person.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Define Predictive Maintenance (PdM)
- Define Preventative Maintenance (PM)
- Developing a PdM plan using software
- Developing a data collection plan: select locations for analysis, select what data is relevant, obtain additional training if necessary, catalog required skills
- Use air bourn ultrasonics and structural ultrasonics; correct ultrasound practices; creating an ultrasound report
- Infrared Thermal Imaging applied to electrical and mechanical inspection; creating a Thermography report
- Vibration analysis: gear mesh; resonance and harmonics; motor issues; unbalance; displacement/velocity/acceleration; shock pulse; misalignment
- Machine oil analysis: oil sampling and chemical analysis; creating an oil analysis report
- Following the PdM plan and conclusions when performing maintenance procedures
- Safe work practices around machinery and equipment with moving parts