Dental Hygiene - Program Admission
Sylvania HT 206 | 971-722-4795
Students applying for Fall 2014 admission are highly encouraged to complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Continue reading for more information on payment due dates and payment plans.
The Dental Hygiene program bases its selection on the following criteria. Please see the Dental Hygiene advising guide for a detailed point breakdown.
- Overall college GPA
- Grades in science prerequisites
- Completion of general education courses
- Completion of a prior degree
- CDA or work experience in a dental setting
- Job shadowing
- Proctored essay, administered and graded by the Dental Hygiene Faculty
The program recommends that interested applicants become familiar with the professional duties of a dental hygienist and acquire basic computer skills in word processing before applying to the program. Applicants with the highest ranking scores will be selected into the Dental Hygiene program. Student selection is completed by late-June each year.
Additional RecommendationsDue to the highly competitive nature of the Dental Hygiene admissions, there is no guarantee of admission to the program upon completion of prerequisites. It is recommended that applicants apply to as many different colleges as possible. A listing of entry level Dental Hygiene programs can be obtained by contacting the American Dental Hygienists Association at (312) 440-8900.
Applications for Fall 2015 will be accepted between January 1 and April 15. We will not accept any applications submitted before January 1st. All application materials must be received by the Health Admissions office by 5pm on April 15th, 2015. Late application materials and/or postmarked dates will not be accepted. You will be expected to submit the following items:
- PCC Admissions Application. Applications can be completed online.
- $25 non-refundable application fee in the form of check or money order, made out to PCC Dental Hygiene Program.
- Official, sealed copies of college transcripts, other than PCC. Transcripts must be submitted with the program application and not submitted separately. All transcripts must be sealed in an envelope by the issuing institution and remain unopened.
- Responses to the supplemental questions (see application).
Send the application materials to:
Health Admissions Office
Portland Community College, SY HT 205
PO Box 19000
Portland, OR 97280-0990
If you have further questions, contact the Health Admissions Office.
You will be required to wear protective gear and clothing during all laboratory procedures that produce airborne particulate matter or expose you to patients during dental procedures.
Post-acceptance Admissions Requirements
Admitted PCC Dental Hygiene students will need to meet the following requirements before they can begin attending Dental Hygiene classes.
- Successfully pass a criminal background check from agency designated by PCC.
- Provide proof of current immunizations
- Provide current proof of CPR for Health Care Providers certification.
Students should not pursue completing these requirements until they are formally accepted into the program and receive specific instructions from the Dental Department.