Skip to page content
- Josette Beach, RDH, MS
- Thank you for visiting the PCC Dental Program website. I am the Director of the three dental programs at Portland Community College. I graduated from the Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene programs and can testify to the excellent quality of instruction you will receive in the programs. I have practiced as a dental hygienist since1978, began teaching in the PCC DH program in 1982 and I have enjoyed working as the director of our dental programs since 2005. Special highlights in my career are meeting the newly accepted students as they enter the program and congratulating them upon graduation and entry into the workforce!
- Sandra Crawshaw, EFDA, CDA
- Sandy has been a dental radiology instructor at Portland Community College since 2015. With over 20 years of experience in the dental field, Sandy says it’s deeply fulfilling to watch each one of her students grow more proficient and confident throughout the course of their time together. "I am grateful to have a job that allows me to draw on the elements of teaching that have long been a part of who I am, while working with students who continue to inspire me each day." In her spare time she enjoys spending time with her family and visiting the Oregon coast.
- Magda D’Angelis-Morris, MS, DMD
- Dr. "D" has been in dentistry since 1994 and is a graduate of the Oregon Health and Sciences University School of Dentistry. In addition, Dr. D also has a Masters of Science in Healthcare Management from the Oregon Health and Sciences University School of Medicine/School of Management with emphasis in Medical Management also volunteers at the School of Medicine and at OHSU’s Center for Diversity and Inclusion.
Dr. D is a full-time instructor in Dental Assisting, where she teaches Radiology, General Anatomy, Oral/Head and Neck Anatomy, Ethics, Pharmacology and Medical Emergencies. In addition, Dr. D is a past lead instructor in Dental Hygiene Restorative and a PCC CLIMB Course Provider for Radiology/Oregon Radiography Proficiency.
Dr. D started her studies at Linn-Benton Community College and has found that being at PCC as a faculty member, gives her the opportunity to help empower students to pursue their careers in healthcare. "It is so gratifying to see our graduates change their lives by becoming a dental assistant or dental hygienist. Graduates have so many opportunities after they leave our programs and it is rewarding to have made a contribution to their experiences here" she states.
In her spare time, Dr. D enjoys spending time with her husband, son and 2 dogs. Downtime means soccer time… Either watching or playing!
- Dr. Robert Jones
- Dr. Jones has practiced dentistry since 1975 and has been a Dental Assisting Clinical Instructor at PCC since 2003. Previously, he has been a clinical instructor at OHSU and Russell Street Clinic, and he still maintains a general practice located in Gresham, Oregon.
- Peggy Lewelling, EFDA, RDH, BSDH, M.Ed.
- Peggy is a past graduate of both the Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene programs at Portland Community College. She earned her Bachelor of Dental Hygiene from Eastern Washington University in 2009 and a Master’s in Education from Concordia University in 2014. She began teaching in the dental department in 2009 and is one of the three full time dental assisting instructors at PCC. She also enjoys working as a clinical and pre-restorative instructor in the dental hygiene program. Peggy stays current with her skills by working as a clinical dental hygienist in a private practice when not on campus. She is currently a member of the American Dental Hygiene Association and volunteers for organizations such as Compassion Connect and Medical Teams International, providing dental care for the underserved. Besides teaching, Peggy loves spending time with her family and exploring all that Oregon landscape has to offer, as well as traveling to many warm sunny places.
- Jill Lomax, CDA, COA, EFDA, EdM
- Jill is one of the three full time dental assisting instructors at Portland Community College. Before becoming an educator, she worked as a chairside dental assistant in both a general and orthodontic office. Since then, Jill received her master’s degree in Adult Education from Oregon State University and truly enjoys working with students in pursuit of a rewarding career in dental assisting. Jill is currently a member of the American Dental Assistants Association and is passionate about life-long learning. In her spare time, Jill enjoys refurbishing furnisher, going to antique shops, and spending time with her husband and their two little girls.
- Arleen Shannon, Administrative Assistant
- Arleen has worked in the PCC Dental Department since 1990 and graduated from Oakland City College in California with her Dental Assisting Certificate. Arleen is the dental administrative assistant and a wonderful friend to all of our students!
- Carolina Valle, Front Desk Receptionist
- Carolina is the office receptionist. She was born and raised in Costa Rica and now resides in Portland since 2014. Before joining our department, she worked as an Emergency Room doctor. Carolina is exceptional at what she does because of her positive attitude and enthusiasm. She is instrumental in keeping our clinic running smoothly and loves to work with students. She strives for excellence in customer service and office skills and continues to upgrade her knowledge, through numerous of education courses. Carolina is married, has two teenagers and enjoys studying, spending time with family and friends. Her interests include outdoor activities, going to movies, shopping and travel.