Testing Fees - FAA Mechanic Certification
Upon completion of PCC's General and Airframe and/or Powerplant program curriculum, you will be required to pass a series of written, oral, and practical tests in order to obtain a mechanic certificate with Airframe and/or Powerplant Ratings issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). As you consider pursuing the AMT program at Portland Community College, it is important to be aware of these additional fees.
Testing for the FAA Mechanic Certificate is broken into two portions or ratings:
- Airframe Rating
- Powerplant Rating
The Certification testing scheme breaks down this way:
- Written knowledge tests
- General subject area: $150 per take
- Airframe subject area : $150 per take
- Powerplant subject area: $150 per take
- Written tests: $450 Total *
(The General Written test is taken with the first rating sought)
- Oral and practical tests (one “session” per rating)
- Section I - General section – Oral and Practical: $200
- Section II - Airframe Structures – O&P: $200
- Section III - Airframe Systems – O&P: $200
- Section IV - Powerplant Maintenance – O&P: $200
- Section V - Powerplant Systems – O&P: $200
- ALL Oral and Practical Tests: $1000 Total
(The General Section is taken with the first rating sought)
All tests successfully completed in the first take: $1450 **
The typical test completion strategy by AMT students is to complete the General and Airframe, Writtens, Orals and Practicals following completion of the General and Airframe program curriculum. Following completion of Powerplant curriculum students take the Powerplant tests.
* Written knowledge test prices are subject to change. Prices for knowledge tests are set by FAA Approved Testing Centers.
** All prices are subject to change. Prices for Written Tests are set by FAA Approved testing centers. Oral and Practical exams are conducted by a Designated Mechanic Examiner (DME). Prices listed for above Oral and Practical exams are based on those set by the examiners conducting tests at PCC. (August 2013)