Cascade Gallery Exhibition
"What's in the Bag?" — A Community Art Project
by Anne Greenwood with Sandy Sampson
- June 5 through September 25, 2014
- Gallery Hours:
- 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday,
- Opening Reception in the Gallery:
- Thursday, June 5, 5:00 – 7:00 pm, Terrell Hall 102, PCC Cascade Campus
- Artist Talk:
- Thursday, June 5, 4:00 – 5:00 pm,
Moriarty Arts and Humanities Building (MAHB) room 221, PCC Cascade Campus
- Gallery Workshops with Artists:
- Mondays, June 23, July 7, and July 28, 1:00 – 3:00 pm, Terrell Hall 102, PCC Cascade Campus.
All are welcome for conversation and handwork. No experience necessary, and all materials provided.
- Closing Reception and Art Giveaway in the Gallery:
- Thursday, September 25, 4:00 – 6:00 pm, Terrell Hall 102, PCC Cascade Campus
- Gallery Location:
- Terrell Hall 102, PCC Cascade Campus, 705 N. Killingsworth, Portland, OR 97217
Cascade Gallery presents “What’s in the Bag?” - the archive of a yearlong community art project reflecting conversations about identity. Riffing on the 1930’s Sea Island Sugar Company feedsack rag doll series, project participants designed their own doll patterns through processes of writing, drawing, collage, sewing, talking, and listening. The feedsack and its social history becomes the metaphorical container for issues of identity around personal and communal sustainability, labor, food and culture. Participant conversations along with their new feedsack designs, rag dolls, and doll patterns emerge as artifacts of exploration of individual identities. The resulting archive of art displayed in the Cascade Gallery reveals various influences on our identities as well as contrasts between identities we embrace and those projected upon us.
Project Participants and Collaborators:
Portland Community College art students
Jefferson High School art and English students
Lewis and Clark 2014 Gender Symposium attendees
p:ear homeless and transitional youths
Sexual and Gender Minority Youth Resource Center (SMYRC) youths
Beach Dual Immersion (Spanish/English) School students and community
Further information regarding this artist and the collection can be found at Anne Greenwood.
For more information about the exhibition or the gallery, please contact Elizabeth Bilyeu at 971-722-5326 or email@example.com.
Portland Community College at Cascade Campus
Terrell Hall 102
705 N Killingsworth
Portland, OR 97217
Get directions and more information about Cascade Campus.