Supporting students in crisis
Ask yourself: How can I help this person reach their goal?
Potentially helpful statements
College can be a frustrating system. We would like to help support you. What can we do to help you today?
It sounds like you are really discouraged by the system. What is one thing that I could do right now to support you?
This person is a part of your community.
It sounds like you’ve talked with a lot of people. I’m sorry to hear this and would like to help. Let me figure out the right person for you to talk with and let’s call them together.
I can see you care a lot about your education. We would like to help.
I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been treated this way. What is something that PCC can do right now to help?
They want to get an education.
- Use “and” statements
- Avoid “but” statements
- Use “I” and “we” statements
- Avoid “you” statements
- Commend the person’s strengths
- Learn and practice a calm response
- Utilize self‐care and know your boundaries
- Remember to breathe
- Listen to understand and reflect feelings
- Debrief after with a trusted person