Web Development Specialist
Positions in this classification develop, publish and maintain portions of the College’s Internet and Intranet website at the department and district level. Designs, develops, tests and publishes new web pages and web sites and modifies existing ones in compliance with industry and college standards. Takes a leadership role in driving clients’ requirements through completion. Applies usability and analytical skills to assess web effectiveness, timeliness and accessibility. Ensures that assigned area/service is stable, well designed, effective to use, up-to-date, and properly maintained. May have responsibility for associated tasks such as managing information and transactions generated from college web pages.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops, designs and delivers web site structure for Internet/Intranet sites. Serves as the primary client contact for PCC web sites and web pages including development, maintenance and enhancement. Works with appropriate college staff to create web-based services that are standards based, highly functional, and well-integrated.
- Documents, tests, implements and maintains web pages and multimedia design using appropriate web publishing, editing and graphics applications.
- Collaborates with clients in defining project scope; advises on alternatives and implications of new or revised services; prioritizes project requests and creates timelines. Analyzes feasibility of resulting proposals; recommends optimum approach and develops website structure for approved projects.
- Develops content and works together with the client and other teams for content creation.
- Develops, designs and implements design standards and styles that ensure a high level of design and coding efficiency consistent with current standards, laws, and trends.
- Performs usability studies, verifies accessibility of content, and investigates web site issues, and coordinates resolutions of findings.
- Monitors and reports web statistics and makes recommendations to managers to improve visibility and usability of web site.
- Oversees implementation of major site-wide upgrades.
- Maintains technical expertise in programming languages, web design tools and acts as technical resource for software in field of expertise.
- Participates on various committees.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. Ongoing need to stay abreast of trends and capabilities brought on by new and evolving web technologies require occasional upgrading of skills to maintain state-of-the-art proficiency. Some learned physical skill is required during the course of the regular work routine to operate a computer and other related office equipment.
Associate’s degree in a computer-related discipline. Relevant experience may substitute for the post-secondary education. Three years of work experience in complex web production and in web tool usage and support which includes web design, graphic design or visual arts experience or training.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Web tools such as Dreamweaver, content management systems, Adobe Photoshop and web analytics tools.
- Data formats and enterprise systems;
- Current web design and development standards, regulation, laws and trends;
- Applicable local, state, and federal laws, regulations, codes and/or statutes;
- Project management principles and practices.
- Analyzing problems, identifying alternative solutions, projecting consequences of proposed actions, and making recommendations in support of goals;
- Offering viable solutions for problem solving;
- Interpreting and applying policies, procedures and standards to ensure that decisions are compliant, or articulate a rationale for deviations from requirements;
- Negotiation, problem-solving, analytical and conflict resolution.
- Assess organizational needs, recommend and execute appropriate web solutions;
- Set and meet timelines;
- Build and maintain effective customer relationships; Communicate technical concepts and ideas in individual and group situations;
- Recognize and resolve system-related problems;
- Devise creative and innovative solutions to complex problems;
- Communicate technical and complex information both in oral and written form;
- Effectively plan, organize and prioritize work assignments;
- Coordinate multiple projects concurrently and work with minimum guidance and direction.