Public Relations Manager
- Title: Public Relations Manager
- Category: Management
- FLSA: Exempt
- Grade: K
Under the direction of the Director of Public Relations and Community Engagement, manages public relations functions for assigned PCC programs and initiatives using PCC-owned channels, tools and publications. Manages media relations for the College and oversees website features and editorial content. Oversees the development and publication of the College magazine and acts as editor in chief. Supports the activities of the Director and serves as acting director as appropriate. Works with College Advancement leadership to plan and implement public relations strategies that support efforts to reach target audiences, including educational partners (K-12 and higher education), government policy makers, business and philanthropic leaders, media, alumni, students and staff.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees public relations functions of various college client accounts, including PCC Foundation, elements of Government Relations, Office of Sustainability, and others; confers with department directors, committees, managers, and staff teams to provide public relations consultation. Develops related strategies and provides training on how to implement strategies.
- In collaboration with the Director, manages and develops communications, talking points, letters and emails for the College President and Executive Leadership;
- Manages the editorial content of the official College publication;
- Serves as the Managing Editor for the PCC Website news system, working with Communications Managers through the College on content; assigning stories and editing articles;
- Provides support to the Director for oversight of public relations functions to Workforce Development and Continuing Education, and Planning and Capital Construction;
- In collaboration with the Director, act as Crisis and Emergency communications manager on issues ranging from inclement weather to public safety or facility emergencies;
- Supervises social media best practices training for college leadership and constituents; manages the PCC Twitter account;
- Manages and orchestrates College public relations campaigns or projects with Community Relations Managers;
- Writes press releases for local and national media. Using College priority initiatives, develops stories to pitch to reporters and editors, and arranges and covers interviews. Manages and maintains relationships with local, regional and national media. Contributes updates to College’s contact list of reporters/editors.
- Develops and disseminates public relations materials including press releases, feature stories for the College website and magazine, social media content and newsletter content.
- Serves as a backup for the Director of Public Relations and Community Engagement to provide leadership on projects; assists with development and implementation of special projects as assigned.
- Manages public relations coverage of the College’s annual Lobby Day;
- Serves as public relations liaison for PCC Signature Events;
- Represents the College at state, regional and national meetings related to the area of media and public relations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is generally performed in an office environment with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. In-district travel is required as necessary. Working hours may vary and occasional evening and weekend work is required. No special coordination beyond that used for normal mobility and handling of every day objects and material is needed to perform the job satisfactorily.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, public relations, communications or related field. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. Five years of progressively responsible, professional experience in public relations or communications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Media and public relations principles and practices;
- Public information principles and practices;
- Community college operations and administration principles and practices.
- Crisis planning and communications;
- Project management principles and practices;
- Social media principles and practices.
- Competency in writing news releases using Associated Press style, feature writing, editing.
- Developing public relations strategies;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with members of the community, media, business and industry;
- “Pitching” story ideas and getting earned media;
- Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
- Developing creative concepts and messages to achieve desired objectives and College priorities;
- Handling multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Managing projects.
- Work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Communicate effectively with all levels of management, board of directors, staff and external individuals and groups, including media representatives;
- Analyze and interpret data and information and making appropriate recommendations based on findings;
- Prepare a variety of written materials, including speeches, presentations, magazine and web articles; blog posts, news releases and media advisories.
- Utilize computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities.
Replaces: PR Manager 7.5.19