Human Resources Assistant
- Title: Human Resources Assistant
- Category: Confidential
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Grade: DD
Under the direction of the Department Director provides administrative support activities for the Director and the department. Typical responsibilities include: answering telephones, responding to inquiries; routing calls to appropriate staff; performing records maintenance; sorting/distributing mail; running reports; and performing other support functions as necessary.
The Human Resources Assistant is distinguished from other human resource positions by its responsibility for providing clerical support to the human resources department.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs a variety of administrative support activities, which may include: making copies, arranging meetings, answering phones, running reports, purchasing and maintaining supply inventory, maintaining archive files, coordinating service maintenance on equipment, troubleshooting minor equipment malfunctions, maintaining administrative files, making travel arrangements, coordinating event details, and/or performing other related activities.
- Coordinates and monitors performance assessment completion for the District, which includes: notifying supervisors when performance assessments are due; sending out probationary status notices; entering assessment results into applicable database; preparing reports related to assessment completion; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Provides administrative support for during union bargaining activities, which may include: serving as a recorder at contract administration meetings; scheduling meeting rooms; maintaining meeting records; tracking union release time; maintaining employee relations files and logs; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Assists in coordinating special events and programs, which may include: running reports; ordering materials, supplies, and gifts for events; designing invitations, brochures, and forms; sending out event reminders; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Responds to requests for information from employees and/or the general public over the phone, in person, and via email regarding a variety of Human Resources issues.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. and four years experience working in an office and/or customer service-oriented environment.
Knowledge and Skills
- Customer service principles;
- Recordkeeping principles and practices;
- Modern office practices and equipment.
- Utilizing modern office equipment;
- Preparing routine, standardized reports;
- Compiling, organizing, and reviewing information for specified criteria;
- Providing customer service;
- Maintaining a variety of records and logs;
- Maintaining confidentiality;
- Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Utilizing computer technology used for communication, data gathering and reporting;
- Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is generally performed in an office environment, with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Frequent sitting and reaching. No special coordination beyond that used for normal mobility and handling of everyday objects and materials is needed to perform the job.
- Revised: 4/2007
- Replaces: Administrative Assistant