Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management & Strategy
- Title: Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management & Strategy
- Grade: Q
- Type: Exempt
The Associate Vice President (AVP) for Enrollment Management & Strategy will lead the charge as an innovative and visionary leader with a deep understanding of trends, best practices, and data-driven approaches for strategic enrollment management. The AVP is positioned to communicate PCC’s message, telling the stories, sharing the data, and modeling the excitement that energizes and builds support for the College’s mission.
The Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management & Strategy reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs and serves as the chief enrollment officer of the College. A key member of the President’s Cabinet, this position is responsible for providing strategic vision, comprehensive leadership, effective planning, program development, budget oversight, data analysis, and institutional coordination for strategic enrollment management and the student enrollment experience. As a highly visible organizational leader, this position directs the collegewide effort of strategic enrollment planning and plan execution, in close collaboration with marketing, budget office, institutional effectiveness, strategic planning, community relations, and academic and student affairs.
This position is responsible for the overall leadership and administration of the division and has a key role in setting institutional strategy related to student enrollment and the student experience. Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee and administer the following College functions: Admissions & Recruitment, Enrollment Services, Registrar/Student Records, Financial Aid, Veterans Educational Benefits, International Student Services, and Student Communications.
- Work closely with the Office of the President and the President’s Cabinet to establish and continuously improve an institutional framework for strategic enrollment planning and management.
- Develop and maintain a Strategic Enrollment Management plan that reflects and aligns with the College mission, values, and priorities for serving a diverse community of students.
- Ensure institutional adherence to critical federal, state, and institutional compliance mandates related to student enrollment and functional areas of oversight.
- Ensure cross-functional collaboration to ensure all stakeholders are involved and invested in identified strategies and tactics to support healthy enrollment levels from admission through completion.
- Serve as representative and advocate—externally and internally—related to College enrollment data and analysis, local/regional/national enrollment trends, enrollment planning, and implementation of enrollment strategies and tactics.
- Execute management activities that include strategic planning and decision-making: personnel management, budget and resource management; and assessment and continuous improvement of the division’s functional areas.
- Provide leadership for College-wide strategic initiative execution (e.g., development of a Strategic Enrollment Management plan).
- Serve as an active member of the President’s Cabinet, collaborating with senior leadership to set direction and establish priorities for the College’s future.
- Create and maintain collaborative and productive partnerships across Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, administrative/systems services, and shared governance bodies in order to integrate effective enrollment planning and management efforts, focused on equitable student access and success outcomes.
- Supervise management, academic professionals, classified staff, technical/support, and/or student staff. Evaluate and provide guidance and support regarding professional development plans and goals for assigned areas of responsibility in accordance with good management practices, district policies, and collective bargaining agreements.
Marketing & Communications
- Collaborate and work in close partnership with the Chief Communications Officer, senior leadership, and the President’s Cabinet in the development of strategic marketing plans for the college including outreach and advertising designed to attract and recruit students from targeted segments consistent with the college mission and core population.
- In collaboration and close partnership with the College’s marketing & communications team, oversee the development and implementation of a compelling, integrated communications plan to engage and inform prospective students about the value, opportunities, and distinctiveness of PCC.
Strategic Enrollment Planning
- Lead academic and student affairs teams in developing and implementing strategies to consistently achieve the college’s enrollment goals, including headcount, composition, net tuition revenue and retention.
- Oversee enrollment data management and systems that ensure collection, maintenance, protection, and use of student data to support data-informed enrollment operations and enable tracking, reporting and analysis of key metrics.
- Serve as co-chair of the President’s Enrollment Management Council (pending development) and lead the development and analysis of enrollment goals based on strategic analysis of student success, location (i.e., center/campus) and pathway/program specific, institutional capacity, market research and geo-demographic/location specific data.
- Ensure institutional compliance and high ethical standards are maintained related to federal/state/College regulations, policies, guidance, and regional accreditation standards in all areas of admissions, recruitment, enrollment, student records and financial aid.
- Develop, oversee, analyze, and make budget decisions in alignment with College strategic plan, values and priorities. Forecast funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies. Approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate. Assume institutional authority for related grants, contracts and technology portfolio that directly supports College’s strategic mission and goals.
- Collaborate with Institutional Effectiveness and Planning to ensure decisions being made are data-driven and enrollment management/student success has needed reports to meet recruitment, retention, and completion goals.
- Analyze need for and oversee development and execution of policies, administrative procedures, and practices related to assigned areas; responsible for working with appropriate shared governance bodies.
- Respond to inquiries from College departments, educational institutions, the community, and/or external agencies.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Advance the College’s DEI effort in recruiting students characterized by a rich diversity of cultural, racial, economic, ideological, and social identities, and encourage a campus culture that values difference and supports inclusion.
- Conduct regular evaluations of policies and processes to identify opportunities for continuous improvement with an application of a lens of equity and inclusivity.
- Create and maintain an inclusive culture that facilitates attracting, equipping, motivating, and leading a diverse team of enrollment services professionals committed to excellent service to students, team members, and community stakeholders.
- Support, implement and promote advancement of the district’s equity goals and assists in the hiring of a staff that reflects the diversity of the district. Participate in and support activities that enhance equity-minded recruiting, hiring, and employee retention practices.
Bachelor’s degree and ten (10) years progressively responsible professional experience related to area of assignment. Four (4) years of higher education management/supervisory experience. A master’s degree can substitute for two (2) years of progressive experience.
- Equitable Student Success Focus: Make decisions that support a student-first culture.
- Strategic Planning: Develop a vision for the future and create a culture in which long-range goals can be achieved.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion: Demonstrated growth in cultural competence; awareness of societal and structural inequities; and proven experience in effectively establishing relationships and positive communications with students and other constituents across multiple dimensions of diversity.
- Change Catalyst: Ability to encourage others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches when addressing problems and opportunities.
- Communication: Ability to communicate effectively with many types of individuals and the ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- Decisive: Ability to make quick decisions while keeping policy and regulations at the forefront of all decisions.
- Team Motivation: Ability to influence and mobilize a group of individuals to work toward a common goal and positively represent the mission of PCC.
- A master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, higher education environment, including as a valued colleague across multiple areas—as a member of the President’s Cabinet, as co-chair of the President’s Enrollment Management Council,* and in other capacities—with deans, faculty, students, staff, board, community members, and others.
- Knowledge of the principles of, and demonstrated commitment to, community college enrollment, including experience in developing and refining recruitment and retention strategies focused on underrepresented and/or underserved populations.
- Demonstrated success in planning, developing, and implementing comprehensive enrollment management initiatives while collaborating with constituencies across an institution.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate complex organizational systems and dynamics and provide cross-functional leadership to support program, policy, and procedure development.
- Skill in evaluating research and data to identify potential solutions, resolve problems, and provide information.
- Ability to apply independent judgment to interpretation and application of rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
*Note the President’s Enrollment Management Council is yet to be developed.
- Replaces: Dean of Enrollment Strategy & Services