Web Designer Job Description
Researches, develops, publishes and maintains the display of information for PCC web sites and applications through templates, artwork, design standards, and content management systems. Takes a leadership role in all aspects of content, data, structures, concepts or visuals. Applies usability and analytical skills to assess web effectiveness, timeliness and accessibility.
Work involves high-level problem solving, is performed independently and requires the ability to adapt and respond to a constantly changing environment, new media, policies and processes.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as the primary client contact for PCC web sites and web based services. Work involves using appropriate tools for web design, authoring and programming. Works with appropriate college and consultant staff to create web based services that are standards based, highly functional, and well integrated.
- Develops and designs standards and styles for visual and interface design that ensures usability, accessibility, and coding efficiency consistent with current standards, regulations, laws, and trends. Employs usability testing to ensure that web services meet the needs of target audiences.
- Designs, proposes, and delivers web site structure, creative concept, and visual display for PCC web sites.
- Guides clients in formulating requirements and defining processes; advises on alternatives and implications of new or revised services. Analyzes resulting proposals and conducts feasibility studies; recommends optimum approach and develops system design for approved projects. Works directly with clients to develop materials for use on college web sites.
- Provides project leadership for production specialists, casual and student employees during web development projects. Oversees design work of production specialists; providing coaching and guidance to insure code production consistent with intentions and standards.
- Monitors web based services for accuracy and quality, and ensures that standards are met and timely corrective actions are taken.
- Coordinates work with other college web development efforts to ensure proper integration.
- Evaluates and demonstrates new web technology as it becomes available for the purpose of determining how these fit into the PCC environment.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
Associate’s degree or two-years of college level coursework in communication, graphic arts, advertising journalism, or a related field. Relevant experience may substitute for the educational requirement on a year for year basis. Two years of professional web design experience in projects performing these or similar duties. Demonstrated proficiency in web design, graphic design, and information architecture. Demonstrated experience in information and interface design; and project management.
Knowledge of: Web design, graphic design and information architecture; common web development tools and programming; current web design standards, regulations, laws and trends;
Ability to: Assess organizational needs, recommend and execute appropriate web solutions; manage and coordinate complex projects; set and meet timelines, budget and design objectives; build and maintain effective customer relationships; communicate technical concepts and ideas in individual and group situations; devise creative and innovative solutions to complex problems; apply usability and analytical skills to assess web effectiveness, timelines and accessibility.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work environment includes typical computer related noise levels and paper and equipment generated dust. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. Works in dynamic production environment with other specialists. Learned physical skill is required for keyboarding and use of peripheral equipment. Moderate lifting.