Transit Service Operator
- Title: Transit Service Operator
- Class: Classification
- Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
- Grade: 18
Under the direction of management, provides safe, reliable, courteous, and efficient bus transportation service to all members of the PCC community. Monitors traffic for road safety while being aware of the overall environment on the shuttle bus. Work requires daily interaction with the public in a variety of situations. May function independently with minimal direct supervision while out on route.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates shuttle bus in a safe manner, on specified route(s) according to established time schedules. Follows PCC rules and policies, obey traffic laws, and remain current on any changes.
- Prepares bus for operation by performing pre-trip and post–trip safety inspections; this includes reviewing the condition of a vehicle’s tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, and safety equipment to ensure that everything is in working order. Monitors the ongoing condition of the vehicle during operation and reports any malfunctions or needed repairs.
- Develops and practices defensive driving skills to prevent vehicle and passenger accidents. In the event of an accident, or emergency, assists passengers to assure their safety.
- Reviews road conditions and determines alternate routes as necessary, in compliance with traffic laws.
- Provides accurate information to passengers regarding routes, schedules, and operating rules.
- Assists disabled passengers with boarding and exiting the bus. May be required to secure wheelchairs.
- Provides verbal and written reports to PCC supervisors and management concerning route, safety, schedule, passenger complaints and operational problems or concerns.
- Responsible for fueling bus, maintaining bus cleanliness, and performing other minor maintenance actions concerning overall maintenance of the vehicle.
- Prepares required paperwork such as passenger counts, accident/incident reports, and bus defect reports.
- In the event of unscheduled closures due to weather events and/or other circumstances, Transit Service Operators are considered “essential personnel” and may be expected to work when PCC is not officially open.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Must be able to operate a motor vehicle sitting for long periods of time; safely assist people using personal mobility devices on and off the bus and work in all types of weather.
High school diploma or equivalent, with minimum of six months experience in public service. Position requires effective interaction with customers and/or the public.
Must possess and maintain a valid Commercial Driver’s license for operation of motor vehicle and have an acceptable driving record including five years of accident free driving, with no recent moving violations. Must obtain passenger and air brake endorsements within 7 days of hire. Must be able to pass a personal and criminal history background check. Must pass a physical examination and submit to periodic drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations;
- Basic vehicle maintenance;
- Customer service principles and practices.
- Driving in highly congested and structural areas;
- Organizing and keeping records.
- Work effectively with diverse academic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of students and staff;
- Interact positively with staff and the public;
- Work independently;
- Remain calm under high pressure/difficult situations.
Revised: 12/2019; 6/2012
- Reviewed: 12/2018
- Replaces: 9/2003