Technology Specialist I
Title: Technology Specialist I
Exempt Status: Non-exempt
Nature and Scope of Work
Under the direction of Information Technology Services, (ITS), management, provides technical support in the area of data communications networks and/or client-server computing for systems and networks located throughout PCC’s district. The incumbent performs network and system management support activities. Maintains existing systems and provides technical assistance to users as well as to others in ITS. Works according to approved requirements and detailed specifications. Job requires good verbal and written skills to present and exchange technical or complex information. Incumbent is a contributor with work results impacting the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Works independently under specified objectives; applies basic trouble-shooting techniques to identify and diagnose network and system problems; obtains advice when precedents are unclear or unavailable. Is responsible for producing journey level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
INTENT: This is the first level of a three-tiered job family where the incumbent is responsible for modifying and maintaining systems according to standard practices and procedures. May assist with broader more complex systems.
- Performs additions, changes and removal of network connections and user accounts at multiple locations and on multiple systems.
- Performs additions, changes and removal of network service components including switches, hubs, servers, jumpers and interface cards. This task also includes working with a variety of network and server hardware and software.
- Assists with the installation and configuration of LAN and application servers.
- Tests and configures network and server components under the direction of the Supervisor of Network Services and/or senior technical staff.
- Manages LAN/WAN network and computer resources efficiently to provide maximum throughput and maintain good system response. Tasks include using LAN software to analyze system performance; conduct research in resolving problems; and verifying resources are being used in a judicious manner.
- Helps maintain network and server configuration records and documentation.
- Operates the computers efficiently to ensure production of regular and special reports. Includes operation of printers, disk drives, file servers and various network analysis tools.
- Analyzes and resolves problems, such as, operational discrepancies, poor network connections or problems with network attached devices.
- Provides technical support to users throughout the college over the telephone, via electronic mail and provides direct support to on-site users.
- Corrects, reports and documents any hardware or software problems of designated equipment. This includes problems with file servers, communication network, and with PCs connections throughout the network. Incumbent is responsible for interacting with multiple vendor technical support personnel to detail the trouble situation and assist in the resolution.
- Monitors and/or operates the data communication network and LAN environment. Includes supporting and assisting computer users in resolving access problems.
- Performs general maintenance on file servers, peripheral devices, and networking equipment. Ensures environment and equipment are clean and secure.
- Supervises/trains student employees and cooperative work experience students.
- Implements college policies and schedules relating to computer services access and security. This includes physical as well as logical security of data, programs and equipment.
- Maintains proper inventory levels of computer and network supplies. This includes updating inventory control sheets, ordering supplies and getting emergency supplies from vendors.
- Keeps computer skills up to date. Includes training on new equipment, learning new/modified procedures and reading manual updates. Provides updated/new information to part-time employees and student operators.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work environment includes high computer related noise levels (may require use of ear plugs), paper and equipment generated dust and use of cleaning fluids and other materials for cleaning equipment. Must provide own transportation for travel between campuses and off-site locations. Work environment includes frequent disruptions and frequent changes in work priorities. Works with electric, electronic and mechanical equipment. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. May be required to work various shifts and/or weekends to provide uninterrupted computer services.
Routine standing, walking and lifting of equipment (30-50 pounds). Learned physical skill for keyboarding and operating complex network and computing equipment.
Associate degree in a computer or network field or related discipline. Experience performing the duties described above may substitute for the degree requirement or training on a year-for-year basis. One year applied work experience in network support services. Knowledge of computer network technology such as TCP/IP, Microsoft Windows, UNIX, LINUX and NetWare. The above-mentioned qualifications could be demonstrated by possessing one of the following certifications:
Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
Ability to operate effectively in a complex environment involving multiple systems and a variety of technologies at multiple locations. Knowledge of system software for error handling and recovery; and of computer system hardware peripheral devices.
Demonstrated ability to recognize and resolve system related problems. Ability to work independently and make necessary decisions throughout the systems process, within department guidelines. Ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively.
Effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate technical and complex information both orally and in writing. Must be able to provide own transportation for district travel.