Student Records Assistant
Title: Student Records Assistant
Exempt Status: Non-exempt
Nature and Scope of Work
Under the general direction of student records management, coordinates work processes within the student records department regarding maintenance, dissemination, processing and confidentiality of student records information. Depending upon position, is responsible for organizing the college’s graduation ceremony. Leads and reviews the work of clerical staff. Decisions often require that the incumbent draw from knowledge and past experience in resolving issues/problems to maintain the college’s credibility. Employs well-developed verbal skills to present and exchange technical or complex information. Interpersonal contacts include students, faculty, staff and vendors. Incumbent communicates regularly on behalf of the Registrar. Work results impact the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Responds to work situations with minimum guidance or direction.
Principal Accountabilities (includes some or all of the following)
- Coordinates, organizes and schedules grading process which leads to the production of student grades.
- Organizes the college’s graduation ceremony; establishes timelines, monitors budget and follows through all segments of ceremony commencing with reserving facilities and concluding with thank you letters.
- Oversees graduation which includes but is not limited to coordinating petitions to graduate, managing the disbursement of these to staff and processing diploma orders.
- Performs lead responsibilities for a specific work group: provides limited input into the performance evaluation process; assists in the training of new and current employees in tasks or new procedures to be learned; provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Determines changes and corrections in the tuition files, assuring that changes comply with college policy and guidelines as directed by the Records Amendment Guidelines or the Registrar.
- Registers, add/drops, grades students with unusual circumstances including correcting student course and fee information and coordinating the processing of grade reviews.
- Maintains the graduation on-line program which encompasses inputting information daily that details student activity commencing with the petition and concluding with mailing of the diplomas.
- Works closely with Business Office staff in problem solving of student refunds, student tuition and fees and other student debts.
- Works closely with college programs in making special adjustments to student records as needed.
- Schedules and produces reports pertaining to the grading process.
- Compiles, edits and orders graduation forms used college-wide.
- Provides leadership and direction to department members in the absence of supervisor.
- Provides clerical support to supervisor as needed including the ordering of supplies and basic office needs.
- Coordinates department travel, meetings, calendar and yearly planning for staff.
- Responds to requests submitted to the registrar via email and phone. Coordinates the Registrar’s schedule and makes scheduling decisions as it relates to other staff in the department on an as needed basis.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an ordinary office environment. Workload occasionally necessitates working unscheduled extended hours. There is some exposure to noise due to printers and copiers and working in an open office area. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a routine basis.
Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding functions.
High school diploma or equivalent. One year of college-level course work or training in records management, data processing, or related area. Experience performing the duties described above for one year may substitute for the college-level course work or training. Two years of experience in records management activities. Knowledge of student records procedures of higher education institutions required.
Must have the ability to lead others and to solve problems within proper guidelines. Good verbal, written, communication, organization, analytical and keyboarding/computer skills required.