Senior Enrollment Services Specialist
- Title: Senior Enrollment Services Specialist
- Class: Classified
- Exempt Status: Non-exempt
- Grade: 19
Nature and Scope of Work
Under the direction of Enrollment Services management, performs a variety of activities to ensure the efficient and effective operation of the district-wide enrollment services department. Serves as the campus liaison and technical expert on complex issues related to admissions, registration, student records and governing laws and regulations. Provides technical assistance and general support to enrollment services staff and functions in a lead capacity. Interacts with faculty, students, staff and the public providing information, general assistance and problem resolution. Incumbent functions with minimal guidance and direction.
- Provides oversight for enrollment services activities at the campus level. Functions as the technical resource and provides complex problem resolution on issues related to admission, registration and student records.
- Serves in a lead capacity and provides day-to-day direction and support for enrollment services staff at an assigned campus. Trains, guides, assigns, distributes and monitors the work of staff; provides input to manager on employee performance. Mentors new staff and provides ongoing guidance. Coordinates with manager to create and maintain staff training manuals.
- Develops monthly staff work schedules. Assigns the work of part-time, casual and student workers. Coordinates the processing of related Human Resources and Payroll documents.
- Resolves problems and issues referred by enrollment services staff. Researches issues and determines course of action; makes independent determinations, decisions and recommendations. Refers issues to appropriate college resource when necessary.
- Works closely with enrollment services staff to provide all types of enrollment verifications with special emphasis on processing verifications for DMV and for students and former students on probation with the federal government as well as other college Dean Reports. Makes decisions based on Banner documentation and external documentation for determining enrollment status, college performance and provides appropriate academic record information when necessary.
- Provides departmental support as a Banner “power user” for registration and admissions process. Creates various Banner reports.
- Monitors the telephone helpline for Enrollment Services. Ensures that staff is logged into the telephone queue. Works with Telephone Services to research and resolve problems. Handles difficult customer calls and functions as the second tier of support when an upset customer wants to speak with staff in a leadership role. Determines when to escalate a situation to the Associate Registrar or Registrar. Creates and implements telephone training for new and current staff and ensures updates are implemented.
- Serves as the point of contact for communication/release of information with third-parties (e.g. parents, spouses, outside agencies). Ensures consent to release forms are on file. Acts as a conduit between the Associate Registrar and Registrar for emergency situations when releasing information is required.
- Makes determinations regarding late drops, tuition removal, reassignments of residency codes, duplicate records and other problems. Determines changes and corrections in the tuition files, assuring that changes comply with college policies and guidelines. Manages duplicate records process; eliminates accumulation of duplicate records in the system and develops preventative measures to ensure duplicate records are not created in the future. Coordinates research efforts with human resources, financial aid, business office and the finance office to ensure that duplicate records are processed appropriately in each department. Trains and provides quality assurance with Enrollment Services staff to ensure that duplicate record creation is reduced and assures appropriate follow-up when duplicate records are created to prevent the problem from occurring in the future.
- Manages and responds to departmental email accounts that require special approvals such as providing overrides for distance learning staff and for students who have faculty send special requests to the firstname.lastname@example.org email account and responds to special requests from the adult basic skills email account. Researches requests and confirms authenticity of messages prior to allowing overrides or taking other action such as managing the creation of a section and global enrollment for such a section via an electronic request.
- Registers, add/drops, grades students with unusual circumstances including correcting student course and fee information and coordinating the processing of grade reviews after research is complete and an assessment is made as to whether the situation should allow for such extenuating circumstances.
- Processes name, social security and gender changes. Gathers documentation and makes determinations regarding authenticity of documentation in accordance with legal requirements. Uses discretion in determining when exceptions for such changes can be made such as when alternative documentation is acceptable or appropriate based on extenuating circumstances.
- Coordinates with various departments to research unusual circumstances, student account problems and disputes (including refunds, fees and student debts); resolves and/or corrects errors, documents changes and determines fair outcomes.
- Functions as campus liaison for Veteran students attempting to enroll at the college. Shares information regarding Veteran Affairs process and protocols and how these are handled at the college. Provides basic intake for student documentation including the collection of multiple government forms that allow for the processing of student applications. Coordinates with the district office so that all veterans’ data is housed online and is available at all campuses. Works directly with the Veteran Affairs coordinator to ensure compliance and legal responsibilities are met. Maintains and disseminates basic Veteran Affairs reading materials and forms for current and prospective students.
- Assists in the preparation and monitoring/tracking of the department budget.
- Documents weekly and monthly auditing and reporting of transcript printing, paper usage, printer checks, daily locking processes and rush transcript reports.
- Coordinates admission and registration for specialized credit and non-credit programs including moving full course rosters for divisions.
- Maintains an inventory of office supplies for campus location; tracks supply expenditures, orders equipment and manages credit card purchases.
- Performs other related duties as assigned including special projects related to the interests and responsibilities of supervisor.
Work is performed in an office environment which is noisy and in which multiple interruptions occur. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis.
Learned physical skill required to perform keyboarding functions.
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of college level coursework in business or related field is required. Two years of general office support experience and two years of experience performing registration, admissions and/or records activities in a post secondary education environment is required. Must be detailed oriented and proficient in the use of desk top computers and associated software; have accurate keyboarding skills and a working knowledge of word processing, data base and/or spreadsheet applications. Must have the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships, provide effective and responsive service to department customers, and maintain accurate records. Must have good interpersonal, organization and problem solving skills and the ability to convey technical information to students, staff and the public.
- Revised: 6/09
- Replaces: Enrollment Services Specialist Lead 4/8/08