Print Center Production Operator
- Title: Print Center Production Operator
- Class: Classified
- Exempt Status: Non-exempt
- Grade: 19
Under the direction of Management, coordinates, facilitates, and monitors printing and production services for Portland Community College; reviews online print requests, organizes a production schedule for processing requests: creates and implements an accountability system for each phase of the production schedule to insure the timely completion of projects. Produces multi-colored printed materials for internal and external use in support of the college’s instructional, administrative and marketing activities while meeting tight deadlines. Incumbent exchanges technical or complex information with college faculty and staff, commercial vendors, and equipment maintenance contractors.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities (includes some or all of the following)
- Provides operation and general maintenance of large format black and white and color copiers, as well as large format cutters, perfect bind book binding system, large format color poster printers, paper drills, laminators, and other bindery equipment.
- Prepares print layout to insure accurate printing of projects utilizing a print server and database.
- Provides routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment. Arranges for repairs from commercial sources as necessary. Performs monthly safety inspections of equipment and record keeping; inspects and verifies completed projects meet quality standards: monitors all printing equipment to insure appropriate and safe procedures are followed as required by operation manuals. Consults with designers/artists, scheduler and college staff ensuring correct layout, adequate timelines, paper availability, correct ink color and bindery specifications.
- Researches, evaluates, and forecasts trends in the commercial printing technology and processes; provides direction and support during schedule interruptions to accommodate emergency requests.
- Provides direction and support during schedule interruptions to accommodate emergency requests.
- Maintains inventory of paper, bindery supplies, toner, and other consumables.
- Independently determines work flow and priorities in order to meet client deadlines.
- Monitors appropriate usage of materials concerning copyright laws and Print Center policies.
- May lead and review the work of other bindery/duplicator operators and student workers.
- Maintains inventory and requests supplies for the large format equipment.
- Provides backup for smaller floor model copy and bindery/duplicator equipment as needed.
- Performs related recordkeeping accurately which includes but is not limited to production records and job information.
- Maintains work site in a safe manner including safe use of all equipment
- Maintains current knowledge of technical aspects of the printing process and supplies.
- May be assigned to lead and review the work of bindery/duplicator operators and student workers.
- Performs other related duties as assigned..
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Job requires regular work hours with some overtime. Work pressure due to volume of work and tight deadlines. Work is performed with frequent exposure to ventilation problems, noise extremes and hazardous chemicals and solvents.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of print operation experience. Associate’s degree in printing technology or related field may substitute for the experience requirement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Machinery used in the production printing and duplicating process;
- Computer operation and server familiarity;
- Department processes and procedures;
- Print shop operations including relationship between graphic work, printing, and digital applications; procedures for estimating job costs, supplies, and related materials.
- Production print servers
- Standard software applications including Microsoft office, and publishing programs including Publisher, InDesign, and Adobe Illustrator
- Basic safety procedures
- Paper stocks including types and weights
- Copyright laws.
- Attention to detail;
- Customer service;
- Quality assurance;
- Specialized computer programs.
- Interact positively with staff and customers in order to enhance effectiveness and to promote quality service;
- Work effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse staff and student population.
- Work with multiple priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment;
- Analyze and resolve problems with minimal supervision;
- Understand and convey technical information related to printing;
- Maintain print and copy schedules to meet production needs.
- Rev: 10/2017; 6/1998
- Replaces: Press Operator II, Gr. 18, 01-14-93