Library Acquisitions Specialist
Title: Library Acquisitions Specialist
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Nature and Scope of Work
Performs a variety of technical and administrative tasks to support the purchase of Library educational materials, including books, videos, films, electronic and other audiovisual media. Interpersonal contacts may extend to library staff, reference librarians, faculty and vendors. Job requires well-developed verbal skills to present and exchange technical or complex information. Responsible for journey level work on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
- Receives request for library materials and performs pre-order research and verification of bibliographic data in electronic sources such as local on-line catalog, OCLC, BIP Plus and the Internet. Identifies vendors and locates college vendor codes in Banner. Confirms availability of materials.
- Enters orders in the library’s on-line catalog and acquisition system. Identifies funds for payment and notifies supervisor of low funds; Identifies campus and collection location; Annotates orders with special handling instructions such as faculty reserve request and directions for Reference rotation or withdrawal of earlier editions.
- Monitors open orders. Communicates with internal (faculty and staff) and external (vendors) to clarify status of requests, orders and payments.
- Receives materials, updates on-line file and enters invoices in on-line system. Sorts and distributes materials to appropriate departments for cataloging and processing (e.g. videos, books, added copies).
- Matches invoices to payment vouchers, exports invoice data to Banner according to established procedures and sends invoices to Accounts Payable for payment.
- Confirms that invoices were paid properly in Banner; confirms purchase card statements; confirms receipt of material for advance payments to vendors and confirms receipt of material for prepayments to specialized distributors.
- Runs Innovative reports related to fund accounting, vendor statistics and other acquisitions functions as assigned.
- Resolves problems and answers questions from requestors, vendors and other library staff. Returns incorrect materials, tracks payments and maintains appropriate support files such as vendor catalogs, correspondence and addresses.
- Enters rush orders on demand, verifies status of orders and invoices. Merges duplicate records for coworkers. Advises collection development staff, librarians and faculty about availability of new materials. Sorts and distributes publishers’ and vendors’ catalogs and notices.
- Helps select new materials and provides overview of purchases to promote a balanced and timely collection.
- Runs monthly New Acquisitions lists (using Innovative’s create list functions) for posting on library web page.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office environment. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis.
Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding and/or ten-key function.
High school diploma or equivalent; one year of training or college level course work with emphasis in library science or related area. Experience performing the duties described above may substitute for the training or college-level course work on a year-for-year basis.
One year of related purchasing or buying experience. Basic Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable knowledge and experience with data entry and computerized purchasing system.